1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Whining Noise from left front wheel when turning

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Bigdogbru98, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Bigdogbru98

Bigdogbru98 New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    I have a 2002 Jetta tdi and I replaced the left front wheel bearing a year ago. I am now hearing a whining noise when turning the wheel left and right. I took the wheel off and grabbed it at the 9 and 3 o'clock position and found some play in the wheel. Is this the bearing going bad? I have replaced the outer tie rod ends a year ago also. I'm not hearing any clicking noises just a whining sound so I am ruling out the cv joint. Boots look great. Anybody have a clue?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Is it happening both ways or just when you turn one way? There shouldn't be any play in the wheel either, try grabbing it at 6 and 12 and see if there's play that way. If it's tight that way it could be the inner tie rod that's got play.
  3. GP1

GP1 New Member

Car:
    2001, 2006 Jetta tdi
    Mods:
    VAG tweeks
    I had a similar issue on my 2001 jetta and it was the ball joint.