Where is my mk6 Jetta really from?

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by rawcpoppa, Jan 30, 2012.

1. rawcpoppa

rawcpoppa New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta 1.4 TSI
    Ordered a 1.4 tsi mk6 jetta. Built in 2012 and I was told by my dealer that it's on its way to Germany before being delivered to Trinidad in the Caribbean where i ordered it. I was under the impression that all mk6 jettas were built in Mexico so how come it's going to Germany?

I also got a vin: WVWZZZ16ZCM****** which implies that my car is from VW Germany but built in Mexico.

Shouldn't my vin start with 3VW as it's built in Mexico? Would it make sense to ship a vehicle to Germany to fit the engine or to complete it's construction?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    My best guess: it gets final assembly in Germany. I thought they were all built in Mexico but maybe the rest of the world cars (not North America) are finished in Germany or something.
  3. rawcpoppa

rawcpoppa New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta 1.4 TSI
    The only other info I've heard is that the jettas with non us engines go to Germany already built from Mexico for "rectification" and "inspection" before being sent to dealers in other countries...I wish they were simply made in Germany. Would make it easy to track lol
  4. rawcpoppa

rawcpoppa New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta 1.4 TSI
    For what it's worth:

Jettas intended for the Caribbean which are euro spec are made in Mexico. Shipped to Germany. They are inspected there and placed on a ship operated by Hoegh Autoliners and usually shipped to Jamaica. From Jamaica Hoegh Autoliner will usually transfer the jetta onto an inter Caribbean vessel that will go to the respective island to drop off vehicles.

I say usually because that is the normal service. In my case the Hoegh Autoliner vessel came to Trinidad directly from Bremerhaven instead of going to Jamaica first.