Whats your broadband speed and what do you pay?

Discussion in 'The off ramp' started by Keithuk, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Hi guys.

Now I've been with BT for years initially in 2001 I was paying £14.99 for modem dialup anytime. 2.5 years ago I had a new computer so I when over to Broadband and I was paying £15.65 a month for upto 20mb anytime but I was only getting 5-6mb/s average. I contacted BT and complained I was only getting a quarter of the 20mb download speed so I should pay a quarter of the price. They sent out and engineer to check the line and speed everything checked out ok. They say the speed depends how far you are from the exchange, I'm only a mile away. Now I'm paying £28.60 for this slow service.

http://www.speedtest.net/

[​IMG]

That picture is on my laptop using WiFi but my desktop isn't much faster.

Run speedtester.net Then click on Share This Result copy and paste your results inside [IMG ] your image [/IMG ] tags without the spaces.

You will see the different results on the forum I use Whats your internet speed?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    $30/month, it used to be around 3 mb/s until they fixed a water corroded cable, now it's going to their full advertised speed. I'm on cable, if you're using the phone line network, even if they're fiber optic to the node it'll suffer if you're too far from it. Also, if they overload the network there could be a chokepoint somewhere which is slowing down traffic. If you get the same speeds at 3AM-5AM in the morning then something is wrong.

[​IMG]
  3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Thats not to bad Chitty, but is that 24/7 or do you find it slower at peak times in the evening?

Yes mine is the phone line. A while ago BT emailed one of their sites as a survey if you would like fibre optics. At that time I said yes but the survey showed only 364 users had opted for this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/oct/05/bt-customer-survey-broadband

Virgin do fibre optics but if you go onto there site and enter my post code they don't do that cable in my area.
  4. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    I wouldn't call 5.92 Mb/s especially slow... (but then again, I remember the days of 300 bps modems, the sense of relief to go to 1200 bps, the jump to 2400 and 9600, and the time all the magazines were saying that the "new" speed of 14,400 bps is stretching the envelope of what telephony can do reliably...)

I usually get 3.2 - 3.6 Mb/s, with occasional good days at 6.3 - 6.7 Mb/s...

For this I pay C$59.33 monthly (taxes included) - this is for a dry loop (no telephone service) connection out here in the country... I guess I'm lucky to have (relatively) high speed at all, and can dream about the connection speed Chitty gets...

Yuri

[​IMG]
    And on another day: [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Can you please post your IMG Yuri?
  6. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    How? (I guess I'm still sleep deprived...)
  7. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well if you open that site and click on the map of Canada at the bottom there aren't many Canadian servers shown. Click on a server name and that will run the test. Click on Share This Result then click the Copy button and paste it into here but you must add around it so it shows the png picture.

[​IMG]
  8. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Done (and edited above)... curious that for my test, speedtest wanted to first hook me up with a server in Prince Rupert, BC, and when I asked for an alternate, hooked me up with Whitehorse, NWT... You, on the other hand, got Barrie, Ontario - which is much closer to me... curious...

Yuri
  9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well it just depends where you click on the map of Canada.

So your speed is slower then mine.

There are loads of broadband speed checkers google it out there its just this one you can post the picture.

When I did a check at work a few weeks ago it showed.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
  10. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Is that 8mbps dillon, can you please post your picture as instructed above?

Oh what year is your Beetle, please add that you your car spec?
  11. stroud2010

stroud2010 Member

Car:
    '02 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH and a wrecked(totaled) '98 NB 1.9 TDI ALH
    Mods:
    none.. yet..... ;)

Attached Files:

12. maheanuu

maheanuu New Member

Car:
    1997 VW Passat 1.9 TDI
    Here's my Speed Test from Polynesia

Going to be interesting, the comparisons, When I was back in OR, as a health care provider for my mom, I was paying $29.XX a month, and I had really great speeds of 4.5-5.5 Mbps back then if my memory is serving me well.

Here is my speeds from the Island of Raiatea and about 4.5 km from the post office (which is our ISO and switch)... We are now on a Fiber Optic Cable connectiong French Polynesia to Hawaii and the speeds have improved immensely, but along with that the price has also... I now pay 14,750 XPF a month for this service and feel very fortunate to have anything close, In 1979 and early 80 we had no telephone service and no lighting in the districts... We have really moved quickly into the age of technology. I brought the first PC to the Leeward Islands back in '76 and it was an old "northstar" then came the Z80 and all of Sinclairs products... Yeppers I am a dino for sure <grin>
    [​IMG]

This was taken from the back of my shop/bungalow/hideout-security blanket. I usually have a camera in my hand or beside me on the passenger seat if I am running round, Gonna post some stuff from everywhere if people like seeing places that TDIs are found... I happen to have 1 of 2 Passats here in French Polynesia, but there are many TDI VWs here that are smaller in body size the European Versions. I like my Passat as I only have to fill it about once every 6 weeks to 2 months..... The larger tank really makes it nice.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  13. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I'm about £12 -£13 and get around 2.5mbps but I live in the middle of nowhere where copper is considered a modern marvel :D
  14. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    How much is that in Western currency? I tried an online converter and came up with an unrealistic U$160...

(Then again, I had a strong beer with dinner...)

Yuri
  15. maheanuu

maheanuu New Member

Car:
    1997 VW Passat 1.9 TDI
    No Yuri, that is correct..... Things are a little expensive here in paradise..... You have to learn to really rationalize and there for those of us who are middle class or as in my case retired, I count every penny. As the US Government does not pay those of us who retired back in the 70's the amount the retirees get today. But I only have one season with a slight difference in temperature so heating is not needed or the clothing associated with it...
  16. darrelld

darrelld Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2013 Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid
    Mods:
    ScanGaugeII, BlackVue Dashcam, V1 Radar Detector H
  17. Shimerism

Shimerism Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI
    We have ATT, who is the only internet company that is permitted into our apartment complex. No cable for us :( We have the FastAccess DSL XTreme 6.0, which is the best we can get and we were paying $19.95 during the promotion period, now it's $47.95.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  18. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    [​IMG]

OK .. what am I doing wrong? Anyway here's the results: Down - Up - Latency
    30.64 Mb/s23.13 Mb/s45 ms
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  19. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Your doing nothing wrong, there is nothing wrong with that speed.
  20. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    WOW - when I posted it, all I could see posted was the url to the pic and the brackets.....is there a time delay for posting pics?