What's it worth?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by origamitect, Mar 9, 2017.

1. origamitect

origamitect New Member

Car:
    actively looking for TDI wagon
    2004 Passat TDI Wagon GL. Black with light grey leather(?) interior. Manual transmission installed by CoolAir in KC. 120,000mi+/-, currently doing balance shaft delete/timing belt/water pump install. New rear rotors, new engine mounts within the last 14 months, new alternator when manual swap was done. Belt tensioner was replaced at some point in the last couple of years. New thermostat 2011. A couple of dings, had to swap CCM because car got water from clogged firewall drain. Got key flashed to new CCM so that remote locks work. Brand new tires <1000 miles on them (will update with brand when I look at the car again). Interior in good shape - no tears or stains. AC works great. Thule Roof Rack, tow hitch and air lift system. Rear ashtray broken. Speedo sometimes bounces and gets stuck. Wanting to sell, but have no idea what its worth these days. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    login to remove this ad
  2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    as much as your willing to pay someone to own it... only way ill ever let one park in my driveway... just long nuff for scrap guy to pick it up..

3. origamitect

origamitect New Member

Car:
    actively looking for TDI wagon
    OK crsmp5, I see you're not a fan - but seriously, is the consensus that it's a paperweight? At one point all these mods were desirable...

4. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    CRSM5 got it half right, the rest is just an opinion. A lot of problems folks have with VWs and TDIs for that matter I think is from imbeciles that don't know how to work on them.

At 180K miles my Jetta has been a great car however I do my own maintenance.

A red flag for me is that you replaced the alternator at 120K miles. Hopefully you didn't put in a garbage alternator from AutoZone or other parts house. Unless the bearings go out in it you can get say 300K miles out of your factory alternator by just replacing the clutched pulley and the regulator/brush assembly.

If everything was done right, you are well on your way to having a bulletproof car.

Radzer0 likes this.
  5. Ted Tolentino

Ted Tolentino New Member

Car:
    Jetta, TDI, 2002; Passat, v-6, 2002
    A couple of thoughts: 1) place an ad on this forum for members to consider buying and see what offers you are given, 2) Craig's List it, 3) check the usual national guides such as Blue Book and such to get an idea what whole sale and retail values are put on such a vehicle. Good luck.

6. BOBMATTHEWS

BOBMATTHEWS New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    I own 2. 2005 tdi Passat wagon and sedan. Wonderful cars. Where I change the oil every 5000 miles .
    Wagon 110000 miles, Sedan 170, runs long me New except noisy pulley sound over a year not affecting performance at all. Have new alternator pulley and tools to replace. waiting for good weather. I wish I had a heated garage with a lift , but don't we all

7. Ted Tolentino

Ted Tolentino New Member

Car:
    Jetta, TDI, 2002; Passat, v-6, 2002
    Bob, no doubt you have thought about the balance shaft chain and chain tensioner as the source of the noise you speak of. The "Humble Mechanic" on another VW website is quoted as saying that he sees these chains and balance shafts fail somewhere between 80k and 120k miles. It is expensive to inspect and change these items on the TDI engine but well worth it if, in fact, the problem worsens and your engine is starved for oil. Then, the $$ add up. I have also an ALH TDI in a 2002 Jetta and had a noisy pulley on the alternator. After the new pulley was installed, the engine is noticeably quieter. Good luck.

8. BOBMATTHEWS

BOBMATTHEWS New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    Not the BSM
    CHANGED PULLEY AND SERPENTINE BELT TENSIONER. CAR SOUNDS NEW

9. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    If a daily driver. From 3k-8k, rare tdi wagon with stick.

Replace DSG in one and gave it to my son.