What broke in the ignition lock cylinder?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by CFIMuncie, Mar 4, 2012.

1. CFIMuncie

CFIMuncie New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2000
    I went to start the car and something popped in the switch and there is little resistance when turning the key. The ignition switch is in the on position, lights on, and will not turn off. I had to disconnect the battery and leave the car in a parking lot. What usually breaks in the ignition switch? I was thinking of pulling the lock cylinder out and trying to turn the ignition with a screw driver so I can get it home to work on it. Any advice?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  3. CFIMuncie

CFIMuncie New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2000
    Got it running! No tow bill!

I was able to pull the electrical portion of the ignition switch out of the cylinder and start the car by inserting a flat head screw driver into the switch and turning it. This narrows the problem down to the mechanical portion between the electrical switch and the lock. At least I was able to avoid a tow bill and get the thing out of the Wal-Mart parking lot. Now I am looking for a used lock cylinder for a 2000 Jetta if anyone has one for sale.
  4. CFIMuncie

CFIMuncie New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2000
    Some pics

[​IMG]
    You can see the shaft broken off in the switch in the pic above.

[​IMG]

This is looking back into the barrel where the switch has been removed.

[​IMG]

I was able to remove the switch and insert a flat head screwdriver into the electrical portion of the switch, turn and start the car. I have a used ignition assembly on the way so I will update with new pics when I tear down the assembly to revile the guts.
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  6. CFIMuncie

CFIMuncie New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2000
    Follow up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ended up buying a used ignition switch assembly from a Audi. When I got both of them apart the internal parts were a little different and were not interchangeable. I put both units back together but something went wrong with original unit and I could not keep the steering wheel from locking without holding the key in position. I ended up having the car towed to a local import shop and he took the old assembly off and put the used assembly on for me. The used unit is very tight for some reason. I am hoping this will loosen up over time. If I had to do this over again I would have taken it straight to a professional to do this job. It is possible to screw it up and die due to the steering wheel locking while driving.