1. QuitersLOSE14

QuitersLOSE14 New Member

Car:
    2010 Mk6 Golf TDi Shark Metallic Blue 2 Door
    I went on a quick errand for a friend and was sitting with the car running and I noticed that the idle was fluctuating a bit. It was barely noticeable on the gauge but I could feel it. The air wasn't on and the car was about warmed up so I don't know what else it could be. Anybody else ever notice this?
    login to remove this ad
  2. kevapex

kevapex New Member

Vac leak? Bad fuel? Dunno, those are the normal culprits.
  3. mrlinch

mrlinch Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI
    I have noticed this as well on my '10 Golf. It seems like it happens on a cold engine vs. when it's been driven around a bit. Since it's so intermittent, I haven't worried about it.
  4. dweisel

dweisel Member

Car:
    09 tdi Jetta Sedan-09 tdi Jetta SW-03 tdi Beetle
    Mods:
    dweisel's stainless fuel sending rods
    The only time I've experienced flucuations in idling was when I switched brands of fuel. It didn't matter whether the engine was cold or warm. The rough idle was present. My wife and I both have 09 tdi's, so I asked if she was also experiencing a rough idle. She said she hadn't noticed it but would pay closer attention. Sure enough her Sedan was idling rough also. We both switched back to the fuel station where we normally bought our fuel and both 09's almost instantly smoothed out. Have you switched brands of fuel or fuel up at another station lately?

Also you may want to check your fuel canister to see what may or may not be there.

dweisel
  5. QuitersLOSE14

QuitersLOSE14 New Member

Car:
    Actually I did fill up in my home town vs where my school is so that could be it.

Also, on another topic, are yalls TDI's still missing and stalling after they said they fixed the recall? I get a miss every now and again and just wonder if it's water in the fuel, bad programming or something else...
  6. speedracer1407

speedracer1407 Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    If by "fluctuating" you mean that the idle RPM rises and falls repeatedly for no reason, then I'll defer to others for advice. But since you say it's barely noticeable on the RPM gauge, is it just an unusual, rough idle?

If so, it could be the DPF regen cycle. I notice that when my car goes into DPF regen, the idle kicks up to 1000-1100 RPM (much higher than normal), and it quite idles rough. This is also accompanied by dramatically improved turbo response and power on acceleration. The cycle usually lasts for about 10 minutes and occures every 600-1000 miles or so, depending on the type of driving I've been doing.
  7. dweisel

dweisel Member

Car:
    09 tdi Jetta Sedan-09 tdi Jetta SW-03 tdi Beetle
    Mods:
    dweisel's stainless fuel sending rods

Next fuel up switch back to your normal fuel station and see if things don't clear up. Please post back here with your results.

Not sure what recall you are refering to?

The new CR fuel system seems to be somewhat finicky about the fuel it sips. Thats just my personal observation on our two 09's.The 03 Beetle doesn't care what you put in it. The CR is also not like any diesel engine I've owned in over 25+ years. Diesel of the past once started, ran smoothly without even a hint of a miss or sputter. If it did miss or sputter you just checked the fuel filter,changed it out if need and things were back to normal. The CR is a totally different beast.I can only discribe then as quirky. Those little quirks drive me crazy,but are all just part of the complex ECU. So,for now I have to live with that.

Quirk list:
    1) The momentary pause in fueling when cresting a hill.
    2) The slight defueling if you are light on the fuel pedal at around 1200 rmp's when accelerating.
    3) The ocassional miss for no reason at all.

dwiesel
  8. 4doorteege

4doorteege New Member

Car:
    Toyota PU
    Hmm, watching this post. Father has a similar issue on his
  9. QuitersLOSE14

QuitersLOSE14 New Member

Car:
    Speaking about the recall; there was supposed to be a stalling issued that was addressed with an ECU reflash.I got it at my first service check in.

Second I completely agree with you on the CR being a complex engine, speaking in terms of what the electronics do for the engine. I hate that many electronics, as they lead to problems down the road.

Thirdly, referring to your quirk list, that about sums up what I've noticed. Honestly I highly doubt its anything mechanical, purely electric from the way its acting.
  10. dawooj

dawooj Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI, 4Dr 6Spd
    Mods:
    DG SS, DRL Fogs
    I too am noticing a 'rough idle' when I'm stopped at a light while a DPF regen cycle is on. The tach needle is a little higher, and can fluctuate a little, but more so than that I can feel the regen cycle literally shake the car--this is a little unnerving.

If I can feel the damped sensations now on a new car (5 mos, 7.6k mi), I wonder how bad the shaking will be down the road w/ many more miles and broken in engine mounts.

Having said that, this is only when I'm stopped at a light/idling. Once the car's moving, I don't feel any more vibration than under normal driving.
  11. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The regen should not shake the car at all. The idle will go a little higher and the radiator fan will run fast but I have not noticed any unusual shaking on a car that is regen, stopped or moving. I believe that something may be wrong with your car.
  12. speedracer1407

speedracer1407 Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Well it depends on what dawooj means by "shaking." I notice a distinct increase in idle vibration during DPF regen. Yes, the revs increase to about 1000-1100, but it feels very different than if I were to just rev the engine to the same RPM. DPF = very rough idle with random minor tremors from the engine. I wouldn't call it "shaking the whole car" or anything, but it's a definite coarseness that's noticeable.

And as I've mentioned in other threads, DPF regen also = dramatically improved performance. 10 minutes at a time, every once in a while. If only it always drove like that.
  13. dawooj

dawooj Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI, 4Dr 6Spd
    Mods:
    DG SS, DRL Fogs
    i guess what i wrote previously made it seem worse than it is... I'd agree more w/ speedracer's better description. It's subtle, but certainly noticeable.
  14. bobwcarroll

bobwcarroll New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    None Yet
    Mk6 Jetta TDI, manual here. I just wanted to let others in this thread know that I am having the same symptom and realized today that it is the regen cycle. Same symptoms: increased idle to 1000 rpm, fans running, increased power, and random "twitching" of the engine at a stand still - shakes the car a little bit. Lasts about ten minutes then normalizes. I can live with this knowing what it is, but was also unnerved the first time that it happened on a brand new car!
  15. MertCheney

MertCheney Member

Car:
    2011 Sportswagen TDI
    My car does the same thing. The fans are on, idle at or slightly less than 1000 rpm and the idle feels slightly jumpy.

Mert Cheney
  16. EINRICH

EINRICH New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI Wagon 2011
    I purchased a 2011 Jetta TDI Wagon and it drove fine for the first 5K miles. Then it began to experience slightly erratic behavior at low rpms (1200-1500), especially when deccelerating. The engine would seem to slightly skip and buck. It has grown a bit more noticeable and is very annoying. Two trips to the VW dealer and all of there diagnostics come up normal. I have tried different gas stations for my diesel....no difference. Any thoughts?
  17. QuitersLOSE14

QuitersLOSE14 New Member

Car:
    I just got mine back from VW and their computers found nothing wrong either, yet I'm still experiencing what seems like a miss or abrupt fuel cut. I know others are familiar with this phenomena, but at the moment there's not a lot we can do. I wonder if an ECU re-flash from another company would be the key in fixing this issue.
  18. CliveD

CliveD New Member

Car:
    Golf TDI 2002
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, but having been reading your DIY guides and got some awesome tips on how to fix problems. Thanks!
    I have this similar 'momentary pause' at low RPM but this is on an older model - 02 Golf TDi 5speed manual.
    This cold morning I was bunny hopping for the few seconds. Ok once you get going, but I still get the occasion hiccup, when I try to accelerate at low RPMS, even after engine is fully warmed up.
    I hate to take it to the dealer, but I may have to as I need to sell my baby soon!