Webasto heater

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by LEZ, Dec 20, 2011.

1. LEZ

LEZ New Member

Car:
    2004 JETTA TDI
    Hello all. I am new here, I bought a used 2004 jetta wagon tdi. I hope I dont tick many off.. but I have spent more on this car In all the time I had a beat up Neon. This car has 140,000 clicks and looks very clean. I have done the timing belt and pullys the EGR pipe that was cracked and the alternator belt pully
    Did not have to do the timing belt but was glad I did.
    I just found out this car has two engines installed a big one and a tiny one. I thought the egr pipe would cure my smoke problem and my Limp mode problem... they have;t
    The main gist of this is that smoky Wabasto heater motor.... is it pooched or is the car looking like it is on fire normal?? Does everyone keep this little devil under wraps I doubt the original owner knew about it either. o mention in the hand book wonder if a manual has a driscription??
    Any way I dont think it is working right or would I not get prety much instant heat??.. takes about 10 min to give decent heat and its not even winter yet. Is there a way to disable it so I dont have to deal with the smoke? Is there somewhere I can get parts to service it(not dealer) Besids this I still get a fume in the driver compartment well after the car is warm and stoped in trafic is this normal? or might this be related to Limp mode?
    Thanks Lez.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    LOL...sounds like a fun case.

Webasto heater was not stock and most dealers wouldn't touch it....and it shouldn't look like it's on fire... do you have exhaust leaks? With all that is wrong with the car you should never smell exhaust. Only way could be related to limp mode is exhaust, egr leak which is getting sucked in through cabin fan (possible)
  3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum Lez. welcometomyturbodies

Car: 204 JETTA TDI

Please add another 0 to your car spec?
  4. dieselwatt

dieselwatt New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2004 Tdi
    I have the webasto heater, I installed it myself, there is not much space for it in front of the drivers front tire. Mine will smoke lots when the exhaust gets plugged with snow. It exhausts right in front of the drivers front tire pointing down or rearward if installed per instructions. Steering either way in reverse exposses the exhaust to higher undisturbed snow, plugging the pipe. This happens more when the webasto is not running. The pipe fills with snow and the heater can't get any air but still gets fuel, it will try to start several times throwing more fuel into it. When it does eventually unplug it will light and have to burn all the extra fuel creating all the smoke. Being from Hamilton this could be an issue. They are pretty reliable. You are not flowing air by the sounds of it. Put your hand over the exhaust pipe as soon as you turn it on, it will blow air immediatly. It blows air for awhile before it fires. Also there is an air filter above the front drivers inner fender that possibly got wet or plugged. Possibly a mouse nest in the intake pipe if the air filter was not installed. Check for kinks in the plastic intake and stainless exhaust pipes, they are installed in very limited space and have sharp bends. You may have hit something and kinked the exhaust, it is in a bad location. When working it will heat your car from -30c to operating temp in apx 20 min and automatically turn the cabin heater on to heat/defrost your car. Any vehicle I get from now on will have one, they make gas ones also. Nothing like going out for dinner in -30c and getting back into a HOT car. They come with a timer/control pad but there is an optional remote. I am assuming the webasto was ordered for the car, not a transport model adapted to fit. In high heat mode it burns less than a litre per hour but it kicks down to low (less than 1/2 litre/hr)once it gets up to temp. It will heat a big v-8. Hope this helps.
  5. LEZ

LEZ New Member

Car:
    2004 JETTA TDI
    Wabasto heater?

oK Mr Dieselwatt Thanks for your reply it is interesting to say the least and revealing. First from your reply it sounds you can turn yours on remotly and it will in turn at some point make the internal cabin heat come on. This makes me rethink my original conclusion about having this heater as I dont have a remote that controls this heater soooo maybe I dont have a heater I asumed this was a factory installed extra for colder climates and came with a new car Maybe this smoke is something else but it sure looks like the video on the internet and sounds like what Ive read.... Car went into limp mode twice today engine light back on...sucks.
    Lez
  6. dieselwatt

dieselwatt New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2004 Tdi
    I could turn mine on remotely if I purchase the remote kit. I do not have a remote. The heaters are not an option, it was purchased from a dodge dealer who also sold webasto products I installed it myself, it is not easy. You will have a small control pad mounted somewhere in the drivers area, depending on installers placement. It will have 4 round buttons and is rectangular or oval (older models) and slightly smaller than a credit card. The control pad is programable like an alarm clock and when it goes off the heater runs for 1 hour. Once the heater runs for a bit it turns on the cabin heater, if you leave your cabin heater on defost at fan speed 1 thats what it does. I haven't seen the video, but it will smoke lots if choking for air or it tried to start while exhaust was plugged, it will come from in front of the drivers front tire if installed as per webasto manual. There should be a 1" flex exhaust pipe hanging down there. The heater is barely visible even when you are under the car, only the bottom and one side can be seen. Good luck with the limp mode I'm going through simmilar issues also, I feel your pain.