Weak A/C on 2012 JSW

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by TEF, Aug 8, 2012.

1. TEF

TEF New Member

Car:
    2012 Sportswagon TDI
    With the recent heat wave in the Northeast, my wife drove our 2012 JSW on a 400-mile trip thru NY state and into CT. With the temp in the low to mid 90's, she found it difficult to keep the car comfortable despite pushing the "recirc" button and putting fan on "high". At a rest stop, another JSW parked nearby and she asked the owner if his A/C had any issues. His response was that he too had a problem but after a trip to the dealer (under warrantly, I presume), it had been corrected. Moreover, he thought it to be a common problem with late-model JSWs - requiring them to be serviced by dealer.

Two questions: Does anyone here have any complaints about the JSW's ability to cool their vehicles and is there some well-known problem with JSW A/C units requiring a fix at the dealer?

While I like the car in every respect, one no longer expects second-rate A/C systems on European-designed vechicles. Therefore, I am hoping ours will be corrected by a trip to the dealer.
    login to remove this ad
  2. GAJim

GAJim New Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen TDI 2012
    So far the AC on my 2012 JSW has been fine. The first week I had was a week 100 degrees in Atlanta and I was quite comfortable. Mine was not set to recirculate and the blower was usually set to 2. It is much better than my wife's CC. Do you have a sunroof? Mine does not and that could make a difference.
  3. macrum

macrum New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta tdi sportwagon
    I live in Austin Texas and we've hit over 110 and my A/C seems to be keeping up.
  4. TonyChaudhry

TonyChaudhry New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2011
    Had mine replaced

I had about 35k miles on mine and it started being weak. I took it in and thankfully it was still under warranty and they replaced the compressor and a fitting. I hope I don't have to do it every 35k.
  5. Philth

Philth Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDi
    Ours seems to shut off for short period. Just long enough for one to realize the A/C isn't working. Hot air starts to blow, then the A/C comes back on. I'm going to have it looked at during our 90-day check up.
  6. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Take it to the dealer for warranty work.
  7. TEF

TEF New Member

Car:
    2012 Sportswagon TDI
    To follow up on my initial posting, the car was taken to the dealer in Glastonbury, CT and they declared the temperature at the output of the A/C vents to be 35 degrees and normal. The service manager (I think), said that one should not compare the A/C's performance to that of other makes of cars. My spouse responded that comparisons aside, the A/C was not coping with 90-degree weather and that was her reason for visiting the dealer. In short, the VW's A/C struggled (full cool and fan at #3) while our 09 Hyundai Genesis and 04 Chevy Cavalier cooled without effort. Our first experience with a VW service department seemed a waste of time. I am hoping to find my old photo processing thermometer to see if I can achieve a 35-degree reading at the same vents. Until then, I remain skeptical of the service department's claim.
  8. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Also there is big difference when it is on fresh air or recycle. It is much easier to cool recycled (cooler) air.
  9. TEF

TEF New Member

Car:
    2012 Sportswagon TDI
    Yes, I forgot to mention in my posting above that it was on "Recycle".
  10. mike21

mike21 New Member

Car:
    2012 jetta TDI SportWagon
    Drove to Las Vegas in my 2012 JSW. It was 107. The AC had no problem keeping the car cool.
  11. TonyChaudhry

TonyChaudhry New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2011
    Just this summer i got my second replacement A/C compressor. They're saying this one is the newer design. If your A/C is acting up, take it in before it goes out of warranty. The problem is intermittent and the dealer will tell you you're crazy. I think we all know when an A/C is working and not, so don't let the warranty run out without them fixing it.