Was considering a VW TDI until I discovered the Cruze Diesel ....

Discussion in '2014+ Chevy Cruze diesel forum and club' started by joeinid, Apr 16, 2015.

1. CraigK

CraigK New Member

Car:
    2013 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    none
    EPA mileage quotes are not real-world driving. My 2013 Jetta TDI is rated at 30/42, but I am getting 35-38 in town, and 56 highway mileage. When I take the freeway, I average 48 mpg at a steady 80 mph (a legal speed limit in northern Utah). Mileage is dependant on the driving habits of the operator.
    I have looked at the Cruze diesel: the trunk is smaller, the back seat has less room, and, IMO, the build quality is inferior to the Jetta.
    If I lose my Jetta over this diesel fiasco, I will go to an electric car, hopefully the eGolf if it is available in Utah at that time.

2. cevans

cevans New Member

Cruze MPG is fantastic. I'm starting to worry...

3. ozca

ozca New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI 2003
    I have owned a 2003 Jetta tdi and now for the last 3 years an 06 Jetta tdi dsg.
    I think this 06 jetta tdi 1.9l and the smooth shifting 6 speed dsg trans and is best driving handling sedan I have ever driven, have not bothered to do a mpg test, just know it is really good as it gives the VW quoted 800-1000km to a tank. Only problem is the cost of parts and labour intensive repairs.
    Also interested in the new Colorado/Canyon diesel to replace my 07 Canyon 4x4.

4. MartinC

MartinC New Member

Car:
    Cruze Diesel
    Wow, a lot of BS in this thread, lol.

I have a Cruze Diesel, i love it, less sporty then a VW, but more confortable and silent on the highway.

The engine has been proven in Europe and some american owners already have over 150k miles on them with no major troubles.

In 2017 a new Cruze Diesel will arrive and im sure it will be superior to anything in the same price range.

5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    ive seen a many dealer "car" with issues... vw tdi

06 jetta... they sell a cat too, cause its plugged.. which breaks turbo... so they do all that and never wonder why the car has a miss... #3 exhaust lifter exploded due to bad cam.... guy sells car for 1k after spending 3k at dealer due to 4k to fix head...the miss is what plugged the cat...

97 passat tdi.. 180k.. guy selling cause dealer tells you need a new turbo... i ask guy when was intake cleaned last.. thats not it.. the dealer says the turbo is bad... hand him $700 drive car home.. clean intake.. fixed...

so yup... dealers i trust.... to make me goood $$ cause they suck

6. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    One of my favorite dealer stories is a guy had the steering light on for his electro-mechanical steering. The tech dutifully pulled the codes and recommended replacing the rack for something like $2500. turns out his problem was a loose ground. The owner fixed the problem on a Saturday and didn't have to spend any money.

Really, independent and tire shops can be guilty, as well. Just about any shop can be incompetent.

7. afarfalla

afarfalla New Member

Car:
    tdi'less
    I'm not comfortable in a Cruze, feel like I'm in a box and the walls are closing in on me, don't like suspension, Jetta slightly better than a Cruze, only slightly. Then there is a Passat SE TDI, if your looking at diesel's this is the one! Cruze don't come close to a Passat. I drove a Cruze Trenton to Atlantic City, then quickly gave it back. I've owned 06, 10, 13 Jetta's and 13 and 15 Passats. The 15 I just turned in, that was a mistake, my back up is an 05 Passat TDI. Chevy Equinox in 18 will have a TDI engine and I see Cruze TDI will go hatchback, I'll keep driving my 05 and see how the new GM diesels turn out, you cannot compare a Cruze with a Passat in a diesel

8. afarfalla

afarfalla New Member

Car:
    tdi'less
    Common stories! The best are the ones where you go to a National Tire shop, purchase 4 tires, get home, the lug nuts are on the ground in your drive way