Was considering a VW TDI until I discovered the Cruze Diesel ....

Discussion in '2014+ Chevy Cruze diesel forum and club' started by joeinid, Apr 16, 2015.

1. joeinid

joeinid New Member

Car:
    Toyota Yaris Sedan 2008
    I could be swayed to buy the Cruze diesel.

So, is everyone pretty happy with theirs?

Thanks,

Joe

jimthompson115 likes this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    From the test drive, I think it's great. Haven't seen too many reliability complaints. One guy hated his gas Cruze.

jimthompson115 likes this.
  3. joeinid

joeinid New Member

Car:
    Toyota Yaris Sedan 2008
    I just wish it was a hatch or wagon. Darn.

4. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Well, my complaint would be that it is a Chevy which have always been a mediocre car at best. The other thing is that something like 2% of the Cruze sold are Diesel, so good luck finding a Chevy mechanic that can work on the Cruze engine without destroying it.

Even with the VW TDI's, some dealers can completely FUBAR a timing belt job, so ya, I would say proficient Cruze diesel mechanics are as rare as hens teeth.

Clarke likes this.
  5. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    I would think that any VW dealer that could FUBAR a timing belt replacement would be equally adept at screwing up a timing belt on a gasser.

Seriously, it's not rocket science. You just have to be really careful to get everything back in the right spots.

boneheaddoctor and joeinid like this.
  6. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Probably more of a nod to how terrible some dealer mechanics can be regardless of car brand. Granted, a gasser T/B has no adjustability and is harder to get wrong than the T/B on a TDI.

I think the root problem is something called flat rate. It seems that the fast and sloppy mechanics are rewarded while the mechanics that do quality work are penalized.

7. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    Having spent a few years around mechanics and repair shops, I don't think flat-rate is a big issue.

A poor mechanic will do anything to beat flat-rate, including cut corners that ought not to be cut.

A good mechanic will do everything he can to do quality work, and still beat flat-rate.

It's the sloppy part that's bad, not the fast (or slow) part.

My favorite car ever was an early model Corvair. Before 1955, Chevrolet didn't produce anything as radical as a V-8. In 1960 they introduced a horizontally-opposed air-cooled 6, and many mechanics had trouble wrapping their heads around something that radical.

Not sure how the average dealership mechanic reacts to the Cruze TD.

boneheaddoctor likes this.
  8. lowrider12

lowrider12 New Member

Car:
    1997 VW Jetta TDI
    a 2.8L Duramax turbo diesel Colorado mid-size truck is coming out later this year. Perhaps, over time, the dealerships will get better with the turbo diesels...

9. k3dlb

k3dlb New Member

Car:
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    I'm very pleased with my 2014 Cruze Diesel. I recently went from Burlington, VT, to La Plata, MD, and back. I averaged 52.2 mpg. The car was very smooth and quiet. The leather seats were comfortable. I have no complaints.

boneheaddoctor and carena70 like this.
  10. joeinid

joeinid New Member

Car:
    Toyota Yaris Sedan 2008
    Awesome K3dlb. I am hoping for a hatchback in 2016.

11. listerone

listerone New Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328d
    I considered one before buying my "d".The main reason I went with the "d" is that I had more money available than was required for the Cruze and the "d" offered features which the Cruze didn't.I was,however,quite surprised by the test drive...pleasantly so.And I was reassured to see that both the engine *and* transmission were made in Germany.

12. carena70

carena70 New Member

Car:
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    I bought my 2014 CTD (Cruze Turbo Diesel) new on June 2, 2014 and as of today I have 32650 miles on it. I am averaging 750 miles per tank. Never been in service except for routine maint. like oil changes and stuff... sorry was in once for a recall forgot about that. I love it, got it because I commute 82 miles round trip daily and right now due to the low cost of fuel in my area its about $35 a week to fill it ( I fill every sunday whether I need it or not). I looked at the VW TDI and was way more impressed with the CTD. Also the VW has a bigger fuel tank but gets less miles per gallon... that was a deciding factor to go with the CTD... Good luck buy a CTD

Attached Files:

chittychittybangbang likes this.
  13. Notabiker

Notabiker New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta 6m tdi
    Mods:
    Frostheater so far
    I looked at the cruise diesel but the lack of a stick and a slow shifting slushy automatic removed it from the running.

14. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen Member

Car:
    2015 Golf TDI SEL
    The cruze 2.0 TD that I test drove shifted fine and down shifted as the vehicle slowed. I was very pleased with it. That Colorado has me thinking for sure...but I love the handling of my Golf.

15. TEAM LEE &MARK

TEAM LEE &MARK New Member

Car:
    2011 VW GOLF 2015 VW GOLF
    Mods:
    NONE!!!
    I see that the sloppy mechanic will get penalized in the end when the customer returns.
    Either with a broken engine or not running properly.

16. boneheaddoctor

boneheaddoctor New Member

Car:
    2014 Chevy Cruse Diesel
    Mods:
    Trifecta Tune
    I've had a Cruze Diesel since Dec 2014. I love mine, by best 25 mile average so far has been 62.8mpg my 250 mile and 500 mile averages are lower because half my daily driving is on 2 lane roads with frequent stops.

I have the Trifecta Tune on mine, noticeable increase in power, and transmission shifting profile updated. The car is a VERY smooth and refined feeling car now with more than enough power to drive confidently without having to floor the go pedal.

17. boneheaddoctor

Car:
    2014 Chevy Cruse Diesel
    Mods:
    Trifecta Tune
    Tonight I drove 60+ miles 95% highway miles cruise set for 60 mph except for a few toll booths I have to slow down or risk an EZ pass not being read, NO traffic, averaged 50.8 mpg in Northern Virginia with winter blend fuel where its really not flat like the midwest or the coast. But mileage is very dependent on your driving conditions.

Never drove or owned a VW TDi to compare it to.

18. TEAM LEE &MARK

TEAM LEE &MARK New Member

Car:
    2011 VW GOLF 2015 VW GOLF
    Mods:
    NONE!!!
    Chevy is cheating more, but they are a US company so the EPA looks the other way.

ozca likes this.
  19. boneheaddoctor

Car:
    2014 Chevy Cruse Diesel
    Mods:
    Trifecta Tune
    I highly doubt that...the EPA doesn't do ANYTHING in favor of the USA...they cater exclusively to the Environazi's.

20. sportriderseattle

sportriderseattle Member

Car:
    '10 TDI Golf 2dr
    Mods:
    Votex Sport Styling Kit, stainless exhaust tips an
    Despite Dieselgate, there's still no comparison between American and German engineering, and one can feel it on a simple test drive.