VW Golf TDI crankshaft sprocket CJAA engine problem *pics*

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by chittychittybangbang, Jun 11, 2012.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Hi, has anyone else seen this problem or have any ideas? The crankshaft appears to be almost 180 degrees out. Background and history:

A friend bought a 2011 CJAA swap package from a crashed Canadian Golf TDI with. Junkyard sold him the entire swap package that was crashed on the first test drive with only 7 miles! The engine is on a stand and turns over smoothly. The flywheel was off because it's on a stand so I couldn't check TDC stamp on flywheel. It has not been started or run since receipt.

I took off the timing belt covers and the crank sprocket appears to be almost 180 degress out from where it shouldl be. The crank sprocket and crankshaft are the same PN# as the CBEA engine and I only have the 05.5-10 Jetta CBEA manual. The only thing that I can think of if nothing is wrong is that VW somehow used a new tool for the CJAA engine that is way off from the CBEA engines, otherwise something is wrong with the engine.

The cam and HPFP sprocket pins are PERFECTLY aligned but the crank sprocket is almost 180 degrees out, about 160 degress out. I find that very suspicious. Here is a picture of the cam and HPFP just in case I'm insane, and of the crank sprocket. I didn't want to remove a glow plug or take apart the belt in case there's something wrong with the engine. Nothing was loosened or adjusted from how I found it. Either VW changed something on the CJAA engine and we don't know it yet or there's something wrong with the engine.

What it isn't: it's not possible to remove the belt and turn the crank sprocket 180 out because the pistons will hit the valves. The camshaft and HPFP sprocket pins go in way too easily for me to think that someone removed their sprockets and put them back on off. In addition, even if the cam sprocket was off, the HPFP sprocket position was right at the same spot. So someone had to fool with that too or it was a coincidence.

the position the cam and HPFP should be at
    [​IMG]

but at that position the crank is way out. That dash at the bottom should be just to the left of the hole on the front seal carrier for use with VW tool T10050.
    [​IMG]

when the crank is in the right position the cam and HPFP are way out
    [​IMG]
    login to remove this ad
  2. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Tierod Ends, Adj Sway Bars. Panzer Plate.
    I would check against the correct manual.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I just realized that the CJAA engine is in the 2010 Jetta and sportwagen so the 05.5-10 manual for Jetta should cover it. I thought that maybe they didn't because the manual was published 2009. There is currently no mk6 Golf manual (CJAA engine) released to the public.

I asked someone else and he said he doesn't know of any change in the CBEA engine timing belt to the CJAA.
  4. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Tierod Ends, Adj Sway Bars. Panzer Plate.
    Do you think that someone altered the timing belt position. I would sure check a few references before rotating that alignment.
  5. 2micron

2micron New Member

Car:
    2010 JSW
    Hello Chittychittybangbang,
    Just a thought, was the car a manual?
    If so, during the accident, it may have stalled, then the engine may have been forced violently in reverse?
    The belt may have skipped the 10 teeth it is out because the tensioner isn't made to work properly during CCW rotation?
    Wouldn't hurt to put low pressure air into each glow plug hole at TDC (compression stroke) for a quick leak down reference check.
    Hope all the best for your friend's awesome engine.
    Can't wait to see the swap project!
    All the best.
  6. copbait

copbait New Member

Car:
    01 Jetta
    Hey Chittychittybangbang,

Did you ever figure out anything. I am dealing with the exact same problem. Mine crank is rotated about 70 degrees CCW with the top of the motor in time. It is on a 13 Passat with 1750 miles on it, it also was in a wreck and I need to be able to replace the inner tb cover, otherwise I would have never noticed it. Any info would be great, thank you.
  7. AMCMasterTech

AMCMasterTech Member

Car:
    2000 Jeep Wrangler
    Mods:
    1.9 PD conversion into Jeep
    It was a dsg car, and I did verify that the base engine, as well as the feedback end, is undamaged.

Chitty, I'm in Atlanta now so if you should find your way south please stop by. I will be doing another Jeep Wrangler TDI conversion but this time will be making some evolutionary changes based on feedback from the first Jeep (the one you saw).
  8. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB