Volkswagon New Beetle key/immobilizer issue

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by skiguy151, May 29, 2012.

1. skiguy151

skiguy151 New Member

Car:
    volkswagon new beetle 2002
    My daughter's 2002 Beetle wouldn't start - shut down a second or two after starting. The mechanic (not volkswagon) said that he "reset" the immobilizer system but that if it happened again she would need to bring the car to volkswagon. I'd really like to avoid that since just driving the car into a vw place always seems to cost me megabucks. Does anyone know what this magical "reset" would have been? Seems to me that he should not have been able to do that - although I am glad he did.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    See immo FAQ for troubleshooting steps.

remove both battery cables, touch together, step on brakes to discharge any residual juice. Can also leave key on for 30 min.

To delete, you need a chip reflash. There's also some hacking tools to bypass but they're buggy and will leave the CEL on...personally I wouldn't use them.
  3. d2305

d2305 New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta
  4. jpwilliams

jpwilliams New Member

Car:
    2000 vw beetle
    2000 vw beetle

Ok I tried the battery trick touching the + and - togther and pressing the brake, but still nothing. If the immoblizer is keeping it from starting what should the light on the dash be doing? Currently it comes on for about 3 seconds then goes off. It does not blink or flash. From what I have read it should flash if it is not letting the car start correct? Maybe I have some other issue with it. I am going to try and hit up a buddy of mine with a scanner tomorrow to see about pulling any codes off of it. Once again thanks