1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Vibration damper and v-belt?

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by Bearcharlemagne, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Bearcharlemagne

Bearcharlemagne New Member

Car:
    1996 Passat
    So here's my dilemma. I've got a '97 B4 passat TDI, and when it is cold, it chirps like you're in the rainforest. So I've slimmed it down to being the dampener pulley / crank pulley / all the other 100 names it has. This is the pulley that the v-belt pulley sits on top of.

I've got a new crank pulley, but it does not have a v-belt pulley mounted on it. Is the v-belt pulley removable from the original crank pulley, or do I need to buy an all in one part. I can't seem to figure out how the two are attached.

Thanks,
    Ben
    login to remove this ad
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    There are 2 parts... the crankshaft pulley (sprocket, actually) has the teeth for the timing belt... it's attached with one bolt to the front of the crankshaft - and on your model, it's known for becoming loose... (keep in mind that bolt is a single-use fastener that must be replaced each time it's loosened... As well, if not kept tight, you can wear out the crankshaft...) The Harmonic Balancer (also called Vibration Damper), which is the pulley for the accessory belt, attaches to the crankshaft sprocket with 4 bolts... On your model it's of a 2 part design, and the rubber is known for wearing out, hence the chirping... You need to replace the harmonic balancer...

Yuri
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI