Vag-com

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by wimpog, Nov 26, 2011.

1. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    Is VAG-COM software free? I just downloaded and installed it, and it did not ask me for a password. I do understand it requires a cable, and I found one here [removed by site admin]
    Could someone tell me what's the deal with that, and what exactly is required to get VAG-COM up and running?
    Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Yes the software is free to download Release 11.11.0 but you need a genuine cable for it to work not a cloned copy.
  3. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Flashinthebox... Hacked cable... pirated software... what's not to love?

It might appear to the uninitiated that the authentic Ross-Tech VCDS cables are expensive... When you compare them to the dealerships' VASx, the Ross-Tech cables are downright cheap...

If you think you're getting a $250 cable for $25...

Yuri
  4. golfTDI1

golfTDI1 Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr
    Mods:
    see signature
    I have the Ross-Tech VCDS Micro-CAN and wouldn't think twice about ordering it again. As YMZ said, you're really paying a small price for such a wide range of functionality with the authentic Ross-Tech dongle. Another big plus to buying their hardware and software is access to their excellent support team. They will really help you out with whatever you need.

Wimpog, its really simple. Go to Ross Tech's site and buy the Micro-CAN dongle! If you've got the software loaded up to a laptop just plug it in and the software will read the correct key to the software and you're ready to start! Just plug it in to your OBD port in the car. Believe me, its worth the money to get the authentic product. You you want to work on some higher level VWs or newer Audis, or want to access some higher functions, then there are more expensive interfaces you can buy. But the Micro-CAN is much more than most people need, especially since the latest repair manuals aren't out for the MK6s so coding is a little sketchy for some things right now. (there's still plenty of stuff you can mess with though!)
  5. Lew

Lew New Member

Car:
    2005 TDI Beetle
    Some of the cheap and cloned cables on Ebay have been know to fry your ECU.....I have the HEX CAN from Ross-Tech.
    Cost me $349, but if you own a VW, Ross-Tech's cables are the only ones to buy........Software updates are done on a regular bases when loading your Destop Version......Anyone have a VAG COM in Nashville....Someone there needs a scan......:)
  6. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    Yuri,
    I wasn't talking about a possibility of buying a $25 cable instead of $250. I knew there was something wrong, and just wanted to know why there is such a difference.

Could someone explain me what's the difference between a $99, $249, and $349 packages?
    http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html
    Which one do I need?

Thanks.
  7. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Well, for starters... you can forget about the $99 option... that's only a software license for generic (or really old Ross-Tech) cables that connect to the older (pre-Mark-V) VW cars...

You need a cable that communicates with the CAN bus... that can be either the Micro-CAN or the full-fledged Hex+CAN... Since you're really in no hurry, being under warranty for a while, you can watch the classifieds or eBay for authentic Ross-Tech cables... they're high quality units and you shouldn't need official support or a warranty... As well, you're in Massachusetts, and there are a LOT of folks around who have VCDS cables...

All the best,

Yuri
  8. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    Seems like that Micro-CAN has a USB connector, and HEX-CAN - a DB9 connector. That's the only difference as far as I can tell. So a $249 cable should be sufficient.
    Are you saying that I can purchase an authentic Ross-Tech cable on eBay? Will it work with VCDS v11? Will it fry ECU, like Lew mentioned? What "official support or a warranty" do you mean? Please, explain. Thanks!
  9. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Most laptops out there no longer have a DB9 serial port... and if you run a Macintosh, you may need to go through a couple of hoops to get the USB version of the VCDS software to run (it's been done, but I don't know anything about it)... So the real choice is between the Micro-CAN and the Hex-USB+CAN... If you're only interested in scanning the newer cars (VW, that is), then the Micro-CAN will do everything you'll ever need. If you'd like to help out others with older cars, or you have one of the special Audis that require the extra abilities of the more expensive cables, and you can spring for the extra $100 or so, then the Hex+ cable's the one...

As far as a used cable... if it's an authentic Ross-Tech Micro-CAN or Hex-USB cable, it won't damage your computer, and the "dongle" in the cable will unlock the latest versions of the software - which VCDS likes to download by itself... As for support... I can't think of anyone who has needed to phone Ross-Tech in order to get assistance in installing or running the software... Keep in mind that the software is quite sophisticated and takes practice to master (I hardly ever use it, so I have to keep on "discovering" the features I need), but you'll find plenty of help in the online forums... here and on the TDIclub... (and VWvortes, I imagine...)

Yuri
  10. golfTDI1

golfTDI1 Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr
    Mods:
    see signature
    All I'm gonna say is that its one of those things that I'd buy directly from Ross-Tech

The "support" from Ross-Tech that's important is not typically issues with the product, but interpretations of auto-scans and coding suggestions and help. That is invaluable and you will undoubtedly get more from them if you're an established customer.

my two cents
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2011
  11. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    Thanks for the explanation. I do have a Mac laptop, and have Windows installed as a virtual machine. The software installed in it pretty smoothly. I've setup USB connections in a VM before, so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Is there a particular version of the cable that I should search for on eBay?
  12. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    As said before you won't find genuine Ross Tech cables on eBay if you did they want the same price as new.
  13. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Of course you find genuine used Ross-Tech cables on eBay !!! Typically they go for about $50 less than new... Many people who have an older-style cable and wish to upgrade to a Hex+ cable sell their old ones there, and many people who have moved away from VW sell theirs also... (the upgrade/exchange program from Ross-Tech winds up costing more than going the used route...)

Yuri
  14. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    Yuri,
    Post a link or two.
    Thanks
  15. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well a genuine Ross Tech cable is something I don't need to search for but I saw one for sale as I said and they were asking more than the Ross Tech price.
  16. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    If you simply search under "Micro-CAN" you'll find one almost every week... You can then save the search and you'll never stop hearing from eBay... There's one now that's at $200 with no bids... shouldn't go for much more... there will be others...

That said, if you need some hand-holding, you may wish to just spring for a new cable with a warranty and tech support... (of course, they do not officially support running the cable/software on a Mac...)

Yuri
  17. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I've never search for Micro-CAN as thats the cheaper version. I've just search on ebay.co.uk and there is nothing on ebay.com there is one.

Micro-CAN
  18. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Sorry about you folks on the other side of the 'pond, but over here there's at least one for sale just about ever week... eBay item 120820028866 is a Hex-USB+CAN for $300... shouldn't go for much more... As I said... usually about $50 cheaper than new... occasionally you can find a bargain - but many people are looking for one... VWvortex and TDIclub classifieds may also have them on occasion - they last about 5 minutes before they're snapped up...

Yuri
  19. oil4blood

oil4blood New Member

Car:
    2000 Vw Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    pp764 nozles 2.5'' downpipe cold air intake egr de
    a friend of mine has a few cables from vairous other laptop based scan tools so i was wondering if they would work with the VCDS freeware. im doing a timing belt change and trying to avoid taking it to the dealer or some idiot. what do you guys think??
  20. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

We know the software is free to download but the VCDS cable is chipped so the software looks for a genuine cable before it will work correctly. These cheaper ones on eBay might work but they only use the VCDS-Lite software which you need to pay $99 to get the full license to use full options.