Vag com 409.1 from ebay and 1998 new beetle

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by gta18, Jun 24, 2012.

1. gta18

gta18 Member

Car:
    1998 new beetle tdi
    Has anyone tried the 15$ vag com 409.1 from ebay with vcds to tune the IP of the 1998 new beetle tdi?
    Coz i just changed my timing belt. Everything is running fine but i just want to optimize timing.
    Thanks!
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It will work with VCDS's trialware version.
  3. gta18

gta18 Member

Car:
    1998 new beetle tdi
    Chitty,
    So the $15 cable would be enough for timing and IP adjustment? and can it also disable the egr for my 1998 new beetle tdi 1.9?

Thanks!
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    yes, yes, no. EGR is advanced function and even if you turned it down, car will adapt though MAF = lower mpg. It'll also set a CEL which in socal = no emissions pass. My suggestion: leave it alone, VW tuned it for low smoke, emissions, and mpg.
  5. gta18

gta18 Member

Car:
    1998 new beetle tdi
    I was also thinking of just disconnecting and blocking off the vacuum line going to the EGR valve to minimize the soot buildup. I think it would be essentially be like having block off valves right?

Have you tried that or is it going to build up soot in the egr cooler you think?

actually I just passed smog here in Socal for the beetle. They just did a visual and scanned for codes. The tech said it was his first diesel! LOL. my injection pump was even leaking. I told him It was just leftover diesel from me cleaning the engine....
  6. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    make sure to get the pump leaks fixed, bad for all the rubber in the engine bay, bad for asphalt, and of course, fuel in the hot engine compartment is always bad. Diesel won't flash like gas but still not good.

blocking off the line will do same thing as block off plate but again, you'll get CEL since car knows something isn't right. You must have ECU flash to remove the EGR w/o any CEL. If you put a piece of tape over it you'll still see some light and bad habit since you want to know right away if something else trips the CEL.
  7. gta18

gta18 Member

Car:
    1998 new beetle tdi
    who do you recommend getting the ecu flash from?
  8. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Malone, rocket chip, kerma tdi etc, try them.