Upgrading ALH

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by axios, May 15, 2012.

1. axios

axios New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 6 Wagon 2.0 TDI / Golf 4 TDI
    Hi,

I would like to upgrade my Golf 4 with 1,9 TDi, engine code ALH. Dont want any big modifications like bigger turbo, clutches, intercooler and so on stuff which i read has to be done in addition and cost millions of $ and then you still are not sure what will happen. So, I researched a lot on the internet and i am thinking of accepting an advice to put a chip. In Vancouver they recommended me this: http://www.dieseltuning.ca/item.php?url=DIGI-Z10
    Will apreciate if anybody share any experience with this chip in particular or any other as i am still a bit afraid to do it. For me, like not an engineer, this chip sounds like it will make the engine work harder and will eventualy wear it out faster or may be break it down. I may be wrong, its just my opinion as if the factory engineers built the engine with certain characteristics and then the engine is tricked to do others with same hardwear. seems to me is like drinking energy drink which makes you run longer and faster without feeling tired, but in fact you are damaging your body.
    Anyway, please share your opinion.

Thanks!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. axios

axios New Member

Car:
  3. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    This isn't a "chip"... it's a so-called "tuning box"... far from ideal except if you want to be able to remove it in a jiffy...

Look up Malone Tuning and find a local dealer... I'd say you'll get far more bang for your buck...

BTW: it would help to know what year and model your car is... different engines and different recommendations...

All the best,

Yuri
  4. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    On my ALH I did chip and injectors,(kermatdi) excellant web site or you can email them. If you go crazy with hp then you probably will have to upgrade clutch, axles etc. Sounds like you want a modest upgrade chip tune. As long as your not trying to drag race mustangs there wont be a problem, neglect or lack of maintenance will. Just make sure you have the needed software to do the install read the fine print!!
  5. axios

axios New Member

Car:
    Thanks both of you!

It is 2001, Golf TDI GL, ALH engine
  6. axios

axios New Member

Car:
    So how does your engine behave now? Any problem? How is the power, fuel consumption? Does it smoke, stumble or choke sometimes. I have read all of those.

Thanks!
  7. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    Sorry yuri i assumed axious had the same model as I do. I cant remember exactly but my HP is around 130 or 135 ? a noticeable increase from 90. Fuel mileage is great as long as I keep my foot out of it. It does smoke a little because I need a IQ adjustment. IT was expen$$ive but its a totally different car. If I need more power I'll get a 5.0. mustang we tend to forget its only a 1.9 liter. The main reason I bought it was for 50 mpg. Take a look at stealthtdi thats were I got my info from and make a informed decision.
  8. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Why are you sorry?

Nothing wrong with the Kerma setup... I just assumed from the original poster's address that he was in Canada, and getting Kerma stuff up here may not be easy... Of course, he could also be in Vancouver, WA...

Malone should be easier to get hold of up here...

Yuri