Unpredictable performance on 2002 GTI PD 150 ARL Mk 4 Golf

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Ken1955, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Ken1955

Ken1955 New Member

Car:
    VW Golf Mk 4 GTI 150
    I have a 2002 GTI PD 150 ARL Mk 4 Golf (From Germany, via Sweeden, hence GT Red I not GTTDI).
    Nice motor and has been very reliable form new, fully servced, now with 85,000 miles. Full performance check done when Timing Belt was changed and trusted expert quoted good condition with almost all of the 150 BHP still there.
    Recently it has exhibied a developing intermittent problem:
    - Started with going into a partial Low Power mode, very occcasionally, when going up a hill. This was cleared by switching the engine on and off, suspected either fueo or the Air Mass Sensor, but problem impossible to replicate as only occured circa twice a month,
    - Twice now it has gone into "I don't really want to go mode, not cleared by switching off and on", but fixed itself after spewing out excesses of extra fuel out the exhaust (40mph max and I thought I may have blown an oil ring until it cleared!), which reset itself after a few miles, mid traffic, to give full power agein. Interesting as I was on 3/4 throttle at the time.
    - Once, after a tight 180 into my work car park, hence I thought it may be water in the diesel - removed filter, left to settle out and clear of impurities/water.
    - No fault codes, no warning lights visible
    Next plan is to check the tank for water but seems unlikely with the filter clear.
    This is extremely annoying as its still a dream to drive most of the time.
    From your threads, was the Air Mass Sensor a recallll item?
    Any ideas before I resort to dealer expenses?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I don't know if the air sensor was a recall item where you are but it's a very common problem. However, I wouldn't replace parts unless you can confirm it is bad or else you're just wasting money. There are plenty of problems that will not cause a fault code like a bad air sensor.

See here and work through the causes: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/limp-mode-TDI-fix.htm