1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Unleaded gas in the diesel

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by MPVLB, Oct 26, 2013.

1. MPVLB

MPVLB New Member

Car:
    Audi A3 TDI 2011
    My wife and I were driving our 2011 Audi A3 from L.A. to Flagstaff AZ. We got diesel in Barstow CA then drove about 300 miles when the glow plug then check engine light came on. The car wouldn't exceed 60 mph. Once towed to a repair facility, the service manager insisted that we accidentally put unleaded gas instead of diesel. I know I filled the tank with diesel. Here's my question: assuming this car had 13 gallons of unleaded gas as this service manager insists, is there any way it could have gone 300 miles before showing a problem?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Cogen Man

Cogen Man Member

Car:
    Golf TDI/2011
    Mods:
    Window tint, window vent visors, ScanGauge II.
    In my opinion. Not a chance.
    MPVLB likes this.
  3. mctdi

mctdi Member

Car:
    Jetta/2010
    Do you have the receipt from buying the fuel?
  4. MPVLB

MPVLB New Member

Car:
    Audi A3 TDI 2011
    I don't have the receipt, but I used a cc and that shows when and where I bought the diesel. There's no way you could put unleaded in by accident. California unleaded pump nozzles are very different from the diesel nozzles. Plus, the car was fitted with an attachment last year so that the unleaded nozzles wouldn't fit. In light of these facts, the service guy is suggesting that the station some how accidentally sold us unleaded. That brings me back to my question. Is there any way a TDI could go 300 miles with unleaded in the tank?
  5. Cogen Man

Cogen Man Member

Car:
    Golf TDI/2011
    Mods:
    Window tint, window vent visors, ScanGauge II.

Once again. Not a chance in hell. She'd be sitting along side the road dead way before 300 miles. Maybe 300 yards with that much gas inserted.
  6. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    Were you running low on DEF? Could that have illuminated the CEL and the emission 'safeguard' reduced top speed? I doubt you would get 300 miles on that much 87 octane.
  7. Peter D.

Peter D. Member

Speaking from experience, not a chance. I accidentally filled my car with unleaded and made it about 75 feet before the engine made some obscene clunking noises and ground to a halt. After that it would not start.

The mechanic is either lying or doesn't know what he's talking about.
  8. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Slammed

After a misfuel, I would expect it to only run long enough to use up the Diesel in the lines. Then bam.......... Gas get injected.... More like above.

Even a couple gallons (1/4) would probably kill your car very quick.

Do the old school trick and drain 1/8 cup and throw it on cement and attempt to ignite it. Diesel will not ignite.
    New school: Send it to a lab.
    Retrive the fuel from the filter housing, it is the easiest way (use a bulb siphon).

Other factors:
    Gas station delivery misfuled holding tanks.
    Water in holding tanks (condinsation due to wx change).