turbo replaced, zero power until 1800rpm

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by harpster50, Apr 1, 2012.

1. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
    Seat alhambra 1.9tdi 2003
    hi
    My Car is seat alhambra 1.9tdi 2003
    car died with tons of white smoke last week Compressor wheel had damage and too much play in the shaft, turbo seals failed!!!
    I have since, replaced with a new turbo and oil feed pipe, air and oil filter oil change, flushed all pipework and intercooler cleaned out inlet manifold, replaced new egr
    and fitted a new Cat. Air Mass meter is only 12mths old, have also tried anoter maf no difference..
    the issue i am still having is that the car will not accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear unless i rev it up over 1500rpm, and then it goes, but when the turbo kicks in 1800rpm ish it shoots. That is also intermittent.
    It does not accelerate properly in higher gears too, unless i get the revs up by tapping on and off the pedal until the turbo kicks in.
    It is only smoking on first start up in the morning and engine rattles and knocks like it going to stall,but when driveing i get occasional puff of black smoke.
    the other thing i have noticed is it will not rev over 2000rpm when parked in neutral start to shake too, as above unless i keep tapping on and off gas pedal
    please help
    also what makes it worse no fault codes are showing up...
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    If it's not a turbo issue, sensor problem, or a boost leak, the actuator probably needs adjustment.
  3. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
    thanks for your response
    how do i adust the actulator, do i make the rod shorter or longer, which sensors could be the issue, or could it be the n75 ??
    could it be a fuel distribution problem too..
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
  5. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
    car power issue

hi
    car was running like it was held back badly no acceleration, but runs better with maf and map disconnected at low revs 1st 2nd gear still flattens at 3000rpm, if i only disconnect one or the other (Maf/Map) still runs held back, it is still flat about 3000rpm but better take off from stationary. i have replaced turbo egr cat too, why is this ??
  6. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
    thanks for the link, i will get a compression check done in a couple of days
  7. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
    update after further testing,

the vcds lite was connected up and the maf and map readings were in range upto 2000rpm while stationary, then they hold, but upon keeping the accelerator pressed after black smoke and shaking the revs continue to rise to redline and the a error code is recorded 17964 neg deviation also the reading of maf and map then resume within the required ranges..
    then it will rev fine only while stationary until you restart car and it will not go over 2000rpm
    if i try to drive it still runs flat and turbo kicks in intermittley
    can anyone advise some more before i get the compression checked.
    thanking u in advance..
  8. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak because these vnt type turbos need the vacuum to give boost, that's where I'd start. I would just go for the compression check becasue your last turbo went and it's good to make sure that's fine.
  9. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
    thanks seatman got it booked in for compression test tomorrow and vac leak test.

Just tried experiment this morning i disconnected maf AND map and car drives better from stationary 1st 2nd 3rd gear but no boost/turbo kicks in, but it does not hold back like it does with them connected, (feels like handbrake is on)
    Is this the computer running off default setting and these are better readings in ecu than the maf/and map, this must surely mean map and maf are playing a role in this issue !!!
  10. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
    hello UPDATE

compression check done, mechanic states its fine, i did a vac check at all joints from inlet manifold back to the air box with carb cleaner engine note never changed. help !!

i have had the vcds back on the car and tested map sensor readings seem fine within spec.

checking the air mass meter at idle 903 rpm (car idle lumpy)the reading seem to be fluctuating from 127 mg to 479 mg with out aceleration.
    but when getting the engine to rev over 2500 rpm eventually the reading match the specified... on vcds

any ideas please
  11. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
  12. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
    Sorted !!!

UPDATE: Resolved matter (I think)
    i have been under the car today and messed with the factory set actulator, and now my symptoms have ceased, i adjusted the rod clockwise a few turns and the car is boosting at low revs and not coughing or spluttering no more, i did fit the new n75 that did not help. i have done a new log today showing the car running, i believe the rod may require more tweaking (i will see how it goes)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  13. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
  14. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
  15. harpster50

harpster50 New Member

Car:
    here is a graph of the specified and actual map reading
    seems the car is still not boosting enough.

Attached Files: