1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

turbo leak exhaust side?

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by Takjack, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Takjack

Takjack New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 2006
    Hi i have been having some issues with my turbo, it now spools around 2200rpm instead of 1700 back when it was running good. when i tromp on the throttle it hesitates then takes off with a big black cloud of smoke, decided to do some investigating and saw black smoke coming from my turbo area (couldn't really see from where exactly) Just wondering if there was any spots to check first that break more often. VW told me my whole turbo needed to be replaced but could not tell me why, they said they were getting turbo codes so it need to be changed. TBH the dealership i have been going to are horrible to work with and wont tell me anything. I was told it might be the waste gate sticking, does the waste gate release the intake or the exhaust side?

06 jetta tdi 1.9 brm

thanks a lot
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Sounds like a leak, could be the vacuum lines needing replaced or maybe the egr flexi pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold to the egr is cracked.
    The turbo in your car uses vacuum to make boost rather than have a wastegate to allow excess boost to escape so any tiny leaks on the vacuum system will cause the turbo to spool late as it needs to create extra vacuum. Same for any leaks in the exhaust before the turb like the egr flexi because the turbo needs the gases to spool up.