Turbo / EGR Cooler Leak

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Clifford, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Clifford

Clifford New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta
    My '06 Jetta has been hissing (much louder than the typical turbo whistle) for the past ~5k miles. The engine has 92,000 miles on it and within the past 3,000 miles has had both the EGR valve and Turbo replaced at a local dealership (which I don't plan to return to unless it seems these two parts were installed improperly or I have faulty parts).

When we had the turbo replaced we were told that the "exhaust port had seized" and after inspection and confirmation from our third party warranty company it was replaced free of charge (to us). I'm not sure if the two were related but while it was up on the lift, having the turbo replaced, the dealership kindly replaced the EGR valve (which had a bad solenoid?) for an easy $600 (initially tried to get me for $1,500 :mad: ).

I only mention these two recent repairs because I am pretty sure (after some extensive web searching) that this is either an EGR Cooler leak or a leak in one of the hoses connected to the turbo. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on where to begin the search (haven't had the wife help me by throttling so that I can be in the engine compartment or under the car but the best I can tell its coming from underneath the car). Also, should either of these things have been repaired/replaced or even noticed in the replacement of the EGR valve and the turbo?

Lastly if this is another EGR issue is it possible to remove this system and still pass my emissions tests (Colorado resident)?! Just seems like a poorly engineered system that has been setup for a lifetime of expensive maintenance...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I have no idea what a seized exhaust port is...if the exhaust valve isn't opening the car just threw the timing belt and engine is seized.

EGR cooler also has a valve, cooler is on back of engine below turbo. EGR valve is on top of the intake manifold. EGR cooler valve tends to leak, if you see soot stains on back of engine, this is a possibility. Remove splash pan, look around foil envelope, valve is right there. Why wouldn't they replace it or notice it? You'd have to ask them.... check your receipts for part numbers and search those PN to see what they are.

If you do a boost leak test you can rule out a loose hose on intake side.

EGR is required for emissions. KermaTDI is a TDI specific chip tuner in colorado and you may want to ask them.

3. Clifford

Clifford New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta
    Thanks for the response, if this is a leak in either of these two things is it something that has potential to do damage to my engine or any other components if I continue driving it?

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    EGR cooler valve will leak until it gets worse and worse. Will lose turbo power and/or throw codes since air is leaving a sealed part of the system. Don't know if this is your problem though.

If the new turbo is dying it could seize up with varying degrees of failure from no power to sudden engine runaway (see FAQ), Also don't know if this is your problem, just throwing out some guesses based off what was changed recently and your comment on loud turbo.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. sktan

sktan New Member

Car:
    BMW 2014 X1
    It is quite depend on your location, what the authority will say if you do not have the EGR system.