trying to help friend with no start after timing belt

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by ethan12horn, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ethan12horn

ethan12horn New Member

Car:
    03 Jetta
    I was just informed by a friend that he had bought an alh with a broken timing belt and had replaced the timing belt and head by himself... i do feel very confident with his work but i do know he is old fashioned and unfamiliar with TDIs... he now has a no start condition and was wondering where we should start looking... TIA
    login to remove this ad
  2. shuswap

shuswap Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI auto
    Fuel lines primed would be a first - look item, provided cam timing is correct
  3. Fluid

Fluid New Member

2nd, very common problem. It will take some cranking so just make sure the starter gets some rest between attempts or else you'll have a broken starter too.
  4. Jetta2001TDI

Jetta2001TDI New Member

Car:
    2001 Jetta TDI
    Assuming that your friend did the TB replacement correctly and the Fuel Pump is timed properly, then I would loosen up the 3rd injector, crank the engine until fuel spills, torque it down and try again. Repeat with same procedure with injector #2. It will then start.
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    You may as well slacken them all off and crank it then they will all bleed the pipes in one go.

Well if you think about this logically if it ran ok before the timing belt and head job then its something thats been missed or not built correctly. ;)
  6. 2k_GLS_TDI

2k_GLS_TDI New Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta GLS TDI
    Second checking the pump timing. Its an easy mistake to make if you are not experienced.
  7. grizzly

grizzly New Member

This can throw a code for the 3rd injector but yes it's fine and will get the air out. Any remaining air will come out as the engine runs.