1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

transmission torque converter clutch error code

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by joedhammond, Apr 22, 2012.

1. joedhammond

joedhammond New Member

Car:
    01 golf
    i just purchased an 01 tdi golf with auto tranny. a few weeks later the check engine light comes on and i had Autozone scan it and it came up Torque Converter Clutch. It does seem to have a little slip in the tranny but runs smooth besides. The light doesnt always stay on though. It goes on and off. At 143000 miles I dont think the fluid/filter has ever been changed. Could it just be low on fluid or am I looking at a bigger more expensive fix? Any help would sure be appreciated. TY
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Don't know without more testing but the CEL goes on-off because it's an intermittent fault which goes away after a certain number of engine starts.

Worth changing fluid but I don't know how much it'll help. In a few cases new fluid causes slip because new detergent washes away dirt that was helping the clutch hold but worst case you just have to change transmission a little earlier. Just drain-refill ATF (see FAQ DIY) and it should be OK.