Transmission slippage

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by FirstTDIinMS, Jul 21, 2012.

1. FirstTDIinMS

FirstTDIinMS New Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SEL Premium
    At around 25k the car started rolling back about a foot or so whenever I park on an uneven surface, usually with a slight grade such as you would find with a parking lot. Never had this happen before unless I was on an incline and forgot to set the parking brake. Dealer says its normal due to the design of the transmission and I just need to set the parking brake whenever I park. Sounds like I'm getting a b.s. answer since it just started doing this but I admit that this is my first VW so maybe. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions other than find a new dealer??
    login to remove this ad
  2. Spyke

Spyke Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat TDI SE
    Its very normal. Each car I've owned with an automatic transmission would do this on an uneven surface. The "pin" when you put the transmission in park is not always aligned on a teeth, there's a little play inside so until it catches a teeth, there will be a little roll.

You are not supposed to rely on that gear to "park" the car, the parking brake is there for a reason.

If you put the car on park and the car rolls more than a foot, then you have a problem.
  3. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    Right at this moment, my 1991 Honda Prelude is parked on the street with a 10% grade. The wheels are straight, and the automatic transmission is in park.

The parking brake is not set.

I did the same with my 1985 Chevy Cavalier, and my 1979 Malibu Wagon.

I wonder what's different in the DSG that everyone is so concerned about the quality and reliability of the "park" position....

(....and of course, your mileage may vary. Using the parking brake is a very good practice.)
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Normal.

ALWAYS use the parking brake. It also sets the rear caliper self adjuster. Brake pedal will become mushy over time compared to car that always has p-brake used.
  5. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    I park my car on a elevated lift (NYC parking) and always noticed the vehicle would roll slightly forward or back till it catches the pin on Park. No slippage seems normal I wouldn't worry about it much, however your complaint should be documented because if there is a problem and warranty comes into play its noted, again I am overseeing it but its fine. Now when the gears start banging from 2-3-4-5-6 6-5-4-3-2 something like that would be a concern. I also noticed that it takes a few seconds to go in gear than a normal non DSG tranny....
  6. Spyke

Spyke Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat TDI SE
    What I'm saying is that we should never assume that the transmission should hold the car in park (Even the dealer will told you so or the engineers who builted the car). If, for any reason, there's a problem within the transmission and your car starts to roll and ends its course on a kid, trust me you're gonna think about putting the parking brake.

It happened to my neighbor. His car was parked for couple of days when suddenly the "parking pin" broke... The car rolled on a kid on his bike and luckily for the kid, he had just a broken leg.
  7. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    I didn't say it was a good idea, or even smart. I'll be the first to admit it's a bad idea.

... but from what I've read here, it almost makes it seem that the DSG parking pawl (or however it's done) is fragile and/or weak compared to other transmissions.

The only time we lost a car on a hill was when a kid was playing in the car and released the parking brake by accident. I don't remember it very well, but when the story was told later I guess my grandmother took off running after me and the car....

It was before crush-zones so the car(s) were unhurt.

Moral: never assume that the transmission or the parking brake will hold. Use both.
  8. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    Speaking of the parking brake, where is it located (not the handle). Rear brake? CV shaft? Was thinking about old days in winter when the emerg brake wouldn't release because of being frozen.
  9. FirstTDIinMS

FirstTDIinMS New Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SEL Premium
    I appreciate everyone's input. I've noticed the delay when shifting as well but seems like there is a slightly longer delay now then when the car was new. Judging from most of the comments, guess this is normal for a DSG transmission. I was concerned because this only started after 25k and I'm of the belief that when things start acting different than normal, then there might be a problem. Either way, it's on record with the dealer.
  10. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    watch this vid: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/rear-brake-pad-rotors-wear-limit-jetta.htm

built into rear caliper, VW p-brake can stick if the cable breaks and lets water in and freeze. Yours has same basic design, I never had a broken cable but it does happen. VW-Audi been using this same design for a long time.
  11. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    I am happy I was able to provide some input to help, currently at 19,500 miles so hope nothing happens with the tranny. I had an Acura Legend and all I had was tranny problems ;( most of it due to my heavy foot and young age... Way past that now LOL