Towing and EGT Monitoring

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by rhino1829, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rhino1829

rhino1829 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    I just purchased a Curt hitch for my 2012 Golf TDI and have been doing the research about getting something to monitor EGT. There are several options and was hoping to get some feedback on which would be best. With all the electronics on our CR TDI's, would it be ok to get one of the digital units that hooks to the OBDII port, or get a pod gauge that I then need to run a probe to the exhaust somewhere? It's not like I'm going to be towing an extremely heavy load; motorcycle, mulch, or any other home improvement items, but would be nice to have the peace of mind to not do any permanent damage to the engine. Also the budget is a bit limited so I don't want to get too crazy with the cost of this. I've searched on this site to try to find out some recommendations, but all I can find is mentioning of EGT and how it's a wise thing to monitor when towing. Please help!!
    login to remove this ad
  2. Thatcher

Thatcher New Member

Car:
    2012 sportwagen
    Code reader

Get a code reader w/ engine diagnostic capabilities. The more advanced ones will allow you to see all of the engine parameters that the computer monitors. They run ~$150, but you can also find cheaper versions. You can keep an eye on it as needed and unplug when done. No messy install or ugly aftermarket gauges on your dash. Don't think about putting a gauge on the pilar- our side air bags are housed there. Think projectile.

I used my reader to monitor the egt as well as the tranmission temp when I first started using it to tow. I tow a small boat - approx 1300 lbs- I have had no problems- plenty of power.
  3. rhino1829

rhino1829 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    Thanks for the response. The reader you talk about plugs in the OBD plug if I'm not mistaken. What brand reader do you use? I have found a few electronic ones that run anywhere from 250-400. These are readers from BullyDog and Edge Insight. They'll show a few read outs like EGT, boost, engine & trans temp, as well as a few other metrics.
  4. Type_TDI

Type_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDi Tech
    If your going to spend upwards of $300, get the Ross-Tech Vag-Com cable.

Are your other vehicles VW?
  5. rhino1829

rhino1829 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    Yes, the other vehicle is an 02 Jetta gasser.
  6. Shortshaft

Shortshaft New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    I might be intersted in one of these units as well. Do you have the Make and Model you could share with us? Perhaps where-to-buy? Thanks!!