Tool Set Recommendations

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by voilsb, Apr 30, 2017.

1. voilsb

voilsb Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
    I'm moving into a new home with a garage, so I'll be able to do a lot more work on my car. I'll need to buy a toolset too. Any recommendations for what sort of minimums it should have? I'm still in the mindset that Craftsman is the go-to brand, has that changed in the last 15 years or so? I'm not going to go crazy with home maintenance, but will likely do all my 10 and 20k, plus other minor stuff like clutch adjustments or similar one-day projects. Maybe 40k.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Craftsman is OK, but many of their tools no longer carry a lifetime warranty so check carefully. Husky tools (Home Depot) are a really good choice as well if you don't want to spend a ton. Husky hand tools all have a lifetime warranty, so they are a solid choice for that alone.

Obviously, if you have the money to spend you can go to Snap-On or Mac tools for great stuff, but you'll pay for it too.

Minimums you'll need if working on a VW are:

-Good set of Torx drivers
    -Good set of XZN drivers (triple square)
    -"Typical" automotive tool set; 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 socket sets with metric and SAE sockets, etc.
    -Decent torque wrench up to 150 Ft-Lbs; you can add an in-lb one as well if you want (it will get some use, but not absolutely needed)

You can go crazy with anything else you want to be able to use, but those are the definites.

voilsb likes this.
  3. voilsb

voilsb Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
    Thanks. Not looking to spend like crazy, so Husky is probably where it's at, especially since I was thinking Craftsman or maybe Stanley.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I have the craftsman tools but have the nicer craftsman 3/8 ratchet because I use that a lot. I also have a precision brand torque wrench because it's easier to use (see the torque wrench FAQ) and they used to supply torque wrenches for snap on. I also have a variety of harbor freight tools, stuff I couldn't see myself using more than a few times. I would not use a harbor freight torque wrench, not worth the risk, since the places you want to be accurate are usually important.

5. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI
    xeno555 likes this.
  6. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    My nickname for Harbor Freight (and in Canada, Princess Auto) tools: "Snap-Off"...

(I still have a bunch of their stuff, like you, for tools one would only use occasionally...)

Yuri

7. voilsb

voilsb Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
    I bought a micro-can from them the day I bought the car. The rest of the stuff I'll need to check out, especially the alldatadiy site

8. voilsb

voilsb Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
    This was amazingly helpful the past few days trying to find out what kept blowing a fuse. Thanks!

mikeme likes this.
  9. thzpcs

thzpcs Member

Car:
    2008 Golf TDI
    It's also worth checking out a local pawn shop or something, as sometimes you can find entire tool sets for really cheap. I picked up a full toolbox for about $150, filled with really nice older Craftsman tools. I had to throw in a Torx set, but otherwise it had about everything I needed.