tires for 2013 VW Passat TDI SE 6M

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by awp90713, Mar 26, 2016.

1. awp90713

awp90713 New Member

Car:
    see signature
    I have a feeling my standard issue Hankooks are going to have to be replaced soon. I have gotten 53000+ miles on them and honestly despite the bad reviews they have served my car well. I commute 50 miles a day. So what has everyone replaced their tires with?

login to remove this ad
  2. TypeRod

TypeRod Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    When I purchase new tires, for some reason I always pay attention to the UTQG rating aka treadwear rating. For some reason I just like buying tires that have a high treadwear rating, it will typically mean you get quite a bit of miles out of them. Its just my personal preference. I also like to go on tirerack.com and research tires on there first before I buy. I would rotate tires every 10k miles. I never have re-balanced tires as time goes on, only if I had the tire removed from the rim for a tire patching, but there are those who will argue for re-balancing as your tires wear down. Good luck!

3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Ya, I would never rebalance a worn tire.

Yes they go out of balance but will you notice it without a complaint of poor balance? No, because it's so small. Obviously if you feel there's a problem with the wheel balance, then have them rebalanced.

4. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    2015 Passat TDI SE Fortana red on beige
    I bought some Pirelli Cinturato P7
    Size 215 /55 R17 94V SL BSW
    Warranty 70,000 Miles
    Load Range SL
    Speed Rating V
    they currently have 10k miles on them and they have good traction on dry or wet. As far as I remember, the traction is better than the Continentals that came stock with my car, and seem quieter than the Hankooks that my 2012 Passat SE auto had.

5. ggbaas

ggbaas Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREMIUM
    Mods:
    None
    Costco had a super deal on the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus in 18" for my 2012 SEL. So far I really like them. They seam quieter than the factory tire and the mileage seams a bit better. I have not tried them in snow yet.

6. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    2015 Passat TDI SE Fortana red on beige
    Well... I just got my tires rotated at Discount Tire and the clerk said that I had 2mm to 3mm left on my Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires, BUT wait....they have only been on my car for 20K miles! WHAAAAT?!! I told the guy that was not going to buy a new set of tires on a car that I will potentially, have to sell back to VW. So I don't know if DT was just trying really hard to make a sale or what. The tire is rated for 60K! So I just told the guy to rotate them and that's it. Grrrr. I hate liars.

7. 2ndPassat

2ndPassat Member

Car:
    Passat TDI SEL Prem. 2012
    When we finally replaced the original Hankooks at 35K miles, we bought Continental Pure Contact (18"). So much quieter, smooth and very good control on turns. I visit "Tirerack.com" to see what's available, they have reviews and videos that compare tires. The Continentals were purchased online and arranged for delivery to our trusted local dealer in West Los Angeles. We were happy with the purchase..... but they were expensive.... $1,023 for the set... balanced mounted, alignment, disposal fees and taxes ..... it all adds up. Best of luck to you.