1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Tire and Road Noise

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by LeeR, Apr 14, 2012.

1. LeeR

LeeR New Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SEL Premium
    I have just acquired a 2012 Passat TDI Sel Premium with 235 45R18 Bridgestone 400 tires. I find them quite noisy (perhaps the word "harsh" better describes the effect) on all but the smoothest asphalt pavement. Of course interior noise is affected by the cars suspension, noise isolation, and noise insulation as well as the tires. The only thing I can control is the tires and I can't very well conduct my own tire survey. The only published data I have seen is the Tire Rack user survey where it scored good for noise and comfort. In addition, I have read many professional evaluations and don't recall negative comments on tire/road noise. However, some of these tests were conducted with the 215/55R17 Hankook 426 tire (note that a 55 is naturally quieter than a 45). My question: have any of you experienced "excessive" road noise with a 2012 Passat? and if so, or if not, what tire is on your car? I realize that noise is a judgement and for years I have been driving an Audi A6 which has a relatively quiet ride.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This has been a common complaint. I think many have noticed continentals on their VW but I forget if it's just passats or golfs and jetta. There's a few brands.

I haven't tried every tire out there but in general I've been happy with michelins. The 55 aspect mxv4 is pretty quiet compared to a few others.
  3. brian252

brian252 New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta tdi
    The jetta I just got has pirelli tires and that is what I hear on the highway. I would rather here the turbo
  4. brian252

brian252 New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta tdi
    By the way I'm thinking I'll need new tires at end of summer before winter and am looking for suggestions for all season tire and low noise
  5. LeeR

LeeR New Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SEL Premium
    Visit the TireRack.com website and follow their prompts to get a look at all the tires in your size and type. Read their own test reports, where available, and the user surveys. You will get a total assessment of the tire performance. Keep in mind that summer tires are strictly for performance and have poor wear characteristics and are useless in the snow. Also, winter tires are definitely better on snow and ice than all season but inferior in most other ways. Consumer Reports also did a lot of testing which was published in November 2009, but it is not available in the internet unless you have a subscription.
  6. geepsterz

geepsterz New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    I didn't know h-o-w noisey the Hankook P235/45-18s were, until I changed-out my fronts (due to sidewall damage) to a pair of Michellin Pilot MXM4. Then, after reading more data on tirerack.com, I decided to change-out the rear tires to the Michellin Primacy MXM4s from Costco. Even that the Hankooks were still very new (only 10 weeks), my point of view was to really enjoy my Passat TDI SEL to the fullest. The extra $1,000 in Michellins is a lot, but so is buying the high-end TDI. So now I have an even more enjoyable car, -that rides even smoother and quieter, plus the added confidence that I have in the Michellin Man. Lastly, I think that Bridgestone makes some very good tires. As a "eco-greenie", -if they had the Ecopia 422s available then in my tire size today, I may have easily chosen them as a replacement vs. the Michellins. In my situation, I hit a huge pothole while on vacation in NM. At the time (Mar 2012) the two ABQ Costcos didn't have my size available, and Discount Tires (aka Americas Tire Co) only had the Michellin Pilot, or else some way-lesser tire. Road surfaces and conditions mean a lot, but this was my solution to hearing my turbo vs the tires. It's always a personal choice.