1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Timing Belt Tensioner Movement

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by swalsey, Mar 21, 2012.

1. swalsey

swalsey New Member

Car:
    Audi A2 2003
    Hi,

I've replaced the timing belt on my PD TDI engine (Audi A2). The tensioner was set in the middle of the window, however since running it it went past the window, so i adjusted it back to the middle and got the torque spec correct. The indicator still moves from just lower than the minimum to a smidge higher than the maximum when being used.

Is it normal for the tensioner to move in this way? It went back to the middle when cold, and then tonight it went from the middle to lower than the minimum when I started, only to return to the upper end of the tension window after I have driven 15 miles.

Any help would be mich appreciated!

Thanks,

Antony
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
  3. shuswap

shuswap Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI auto
    Mine has hopped around also. It's always in the 'window', sometimes at the edge.... seems to have a mind of its own. I was mortified when I first spotted it at the very edge and promptly re-did the tensioning procedure to get it closer. It immediately moved once again, so I decided to keep an eye on the bloody thing and its been like that for 20k miles.
  4. swalsey

swalsey New Member

Car:
    Audi A2 2003
    Yeah I retensioned and it seems to be staying put. I'll have a look in the FAQ, thanks!