1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Timing belt replace

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jimjay, Aug 18, 2011.

1. jimjay

jimjay New Member

Car:
    VW NB TDI AGR 98 5spd
    I have been working my way through the "how to replace timing belt" and ran into a hopefully small snag. While removing the valve cover I broke the rigid plastic hose that is between the pressure regulating valve and an unknown valve or sensor. Also the entire regulating valve and the sensor/valve are drenched in oil/dirt, a real mess. I know this is not normal affair but can I just replace the plastic hose and deal with this later, or fix it now.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Hi there, any chance of a pic? I'm not 100% sure which part you mean, I have the same engine and am fairly familiar with it but can't think which pipe you mean. :)
  3. jimjay

jimjay New Member

Car:
    VW NB TDI AGR 98 5spd
    I apologize for the poor description, I had just spent a lot of time trying to find the information in Bentley's cd, but had a tough time because I didn't know what it was called.

The part I broke is called the "breather pipe" and it runs from the "pressure regulator valve" to a valve or sensor, still don't know what that is called. I need to know if I can fix the broken pipe, or because it is so greasy I need to dig deeper and look for an underlying bigger problem.

Thank you

Attached Files:

4. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    I'm still having trouble figuring out which part you broke... Is it attached to the more-or-less flexible hose that runs from the CCV (crankcase ventilation) hockey-puck on top of the valve cover or is it part of the pre-heater (that's supposed to warm up those vapors when the engine's cold) ? There's an odd adapter that's supposed to sort of plug onto that pre-heater (if you squeeze the outer ring)... If what you see coming out of that pre-heater looks like a pipe-nipple, you could improvise... many people put some type of oil trap / separator... (see http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=90355&page=4 , http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=142016 and http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=121576 ... there are many other designs...)

Yuri
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  5. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    The pipe that goes between the ccv and the air intake? You can get that for very little from a dealer, it's just for the engine blow by gases to go back into the intake and get burnt off. Friend just had the same issue on his but didn't realy cause any problems but he's fixed it now.:)
  6. jimjay

jimjay New Member

Car:
    VW NB TDI AGR 98 5spd
    yes, it is the plastic hose that runs from the big hockey puck looking thing to a vale or sensor. It is number 17 on the picture below.

Attached Files:

7. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    As long as you route some type of hose from the CCV to the pre-heater, it won't make much difference...

Yuri
  8. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    The hockey puck looking thing is your ccv (crank case vent) and ignoring the sensor it's the air intake pipe, just ask the dealer for a price on the pipe from the ccv to the air intake and see what he says or do as YMZ says and just get a bit of pipe that fits. Either will do fine, maybe a piece of hose from a coolant system or something.:)
  9. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    FYI, that sensor thing is not a sensor. It's a heater. The purpose is to warm any condensation in the winter and prevent it from freezing and blocking the tube.

Since all the oil mist passes through that hose it's normal for it to be greasy.
  10. jimjay

jimjay New Member

Car:
    VW NB TDI AGR 98 5spd
    Thanks to everybody for your responses, this is a great forum. The level of expertise that is available to use rookies is amazing.
  11. miker

miker New Member

That is a dealer part if you want OEM.