1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Timing Belt Help

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jvanclieaf, Aug 28, 2011.

1. jvanclieaf

jvanclieaf New Member

Car:
    2003 Golf GLS TDI 330000km
    I just bought a 2003 golf 1.9 TDI with 325000km (200000 mi), 5 speed

I have no idea when the timing belt was replaced last, so my question is how long can i wait before changing the timing belt? (as i don't have the money right now)

I am going through to become a truck and coach technician, so my other question is how hard is it and how much time should it take to replace the timing belt myself and at what kind of cost am i looking and where is the best place to get parts from (dealer)?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
  3. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    welcometomyturbodies Welcome to the website!

You know, I forgot to change the timing belt on my crystal ball, and now it doesn't tell the future any more... :(

While it's possible for someone experienced with these cars to have a look and offer a guess at how recent some of the components may look, you have no knowledge of whether all the needed components were changed and how well the work was performed. A good rule-of-thumb that's been adopted over the years on the TDI-specific websites is that if you can't verify that the timing belt system on any new-to-you TDI was properly and completely changed in the recent past, change it ASAP. Keep in mind that many people get rid of their cars when they are confronted with the cost of having this little (?) maintenance chore performed - usually at a dealership (the most expensive option)... So chances are that your car actually does need a system refresh. (The timing belt system in your car is designed for a 160,000 km lifespan, so your car is just about at the timing belt change interval... possibly it was recently done, but I'd bet against it...)

Take a look at the procedure http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/ALH-engine-timing-belt-change-VW-Jetta-TDI-1.htm to see if you're comfortable with what needs to be done. The special tools (necessary!!!!) can be rented or borrowed... For a complete parts list see the ALH kits at http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/VWPartsA4.htm and www.precisiontuning.ca

Feel free to ask about anything that comes into your head...

All the best,

Yuri.