1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

timing belt and water pump on my 2005 vw jetta tdi

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by 05 tdi, May 15, 2012.

1. 05 tdi

05 tdi New Member

Car:
    05 jetta tdi
    Getiing ready to do a timing belt and water pump on my 05. My friend says I do not need the crank lock tool. Or really any special tools to do this job? Just wondering what you guys have to say about that.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  3. 05 tdi

05 tdi New Member

Car:
    05 jetta tdi
    his brother works at vw dealer. says the crank lock tool is great but can be done with out it
  4. chacaocop

chacaocop Member

Car:
    Jetta/2000 (totalled by my son) Jetta/2006 (not letting my son drive this one)
    I would not risk damaging the engine by skipping a very simple step which will ensure you don't make any mistakes. If that is the case why use special tools? Why not paint marks on the belt itself? Well because this engine will self destroy the head by hitting the valves with piston if it is off timing.

My recommendation after changing a non pumpe duse and a pumpe duse timing belt.... Use it. DO NOT SKIP STEPS.
  5. 05 tdi

05 tdi New Member

Car:
    05 jetta tdi
    Ok so I ordered the timing tool set. Got it tow apart in the grage and my bro want out the and was messing with it. Already had the belt of and the new water pump in. Think he mite have turned the crank. Had the cam locked. How do I make sure the crank gets back to where it needs to be?
  6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Remove cam pin, insert crank lock while turning engine clockwise manually. It has arrows on it and crank sprocket, can't mess it up. From there it's the same as regular belt removal. As long as it wasn't totally messed up, shouldn't be too far off.