TDI hill hold manual trans?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Bodoni, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Bodoni

Bodoni New Member

Car:
    bmw m3/2006
    When searching through a local dealers database of available cars, it said the 2012 Jetta TDI was available with a hill hold feature on the manual. After arriving at a dealer all anxious to buy a car there is no such feature on the cars. What gives? Anyone know, is it only on the sportwagen and not the sedan? I really don't want this car with a tiptronic, had one of those on a 99 passat wagon and that was probably the worst car I have ever owned, by a wide margin!

Is the hill hold a feature vw removed?

Thanks in advance.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Why do you want hill hold as its something else to go wrong, what wrong with the handbrake thats what its there for? Its a standard fitment on UK Golf S, Match, BlueMotion.

Auto Hold function using electronic parking brake.

Hill Hold
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  3. ToeBall

ToeBall Member

Car:
    2010 VW JSW
    Mods:
    APR Intake, PDE Downpipe, Banks Exhaust, Malone St
    If I remember correctly, hill hold can be turned on and off by recoding the ABS module.
  4. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    Is there hill hold on a TDI JSW or no?
  5. RHunter

RHunter New Member

Car:
    There is on my 2011 JSW.

Took me awhile to get used to it (dumped the clutch about 20 times :eek ) but now that I've gotten used to it, it's not too bad.

When you are on an incline the car thinks needs this, it keeps the brake engaged for about 2 seconds before it lets go.

I seem to recall somewhere (either here or TDIClub) there is a way to change the setting in VCDS. Once I get one of those, I will check it out further. Until then, it's OEM Hill Holder for me...
  6. jbkendrick

jbkendrick New Member

Car:
    2011 VW Golf TDI
    Mods:
    ECS Aspherical Mirrors
    My 2011 Golf TDI DSG has hill hold as well. Works well and is useful since there is no manual clutch.
  7. probstk

probstk Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI Highline 6sp
    Mods:
    Dieselgeek Sigma 6 shift kit
    I have a Jetta Sedan 6 sp. and it has this as well. Getting used to it, but don't like it. I've driven stick for a long time and am pretty good at bringing the clutch to the start of engagement before moving from the brake to the accelerator. I rarely roll back. I find the delay with Hill Hold is a bit too long and I get worried that the guy behind me will become impatient!
  8. DAVE PARKER

DAVE PARKER New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
    Our 2010 JSW TDI with six speed manual has it. Most of the time I do not even notice it working. I think it can be turned off with the VAG COM.

cheers
    dave parker
  9. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    Is this some kind of a problem?
  10. Bodoni

Bodoni New Member

Car:
    bmw m3/2006
    No HH on manual I drove

Hi,

I'm a good stick driver, but my wife is not. We live in a town with lots of hills.
    Since we both will drive the car I would rather have the manual she can use too.
    She learned to drive stick on my 78 Dasher and it cost me a clutch!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder

Is the vw implementation a button or is it supposed to just happen?
  11. DAVE PARKER

DAVE PARKER New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
    It is "just supposed to happen".
    The hill holder feature on the modern VW is tied into the Anti-lock Brake System and is actually just the ABS releasing slowly after the driver comes off the brakes before starting to move forward. This is achieved by programing in the ABS computer.
    I did not realize that our car had it until I read about it in the owners manual.

It works very seamlessly. The older hill holder feature on Subaru vehicles did not work seamlessly and often failed.

I remember the Dasher, not popular but a good car for its time.

cheers
    dave parker
  12. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I was just looking through the GTI-GTD-R spec on the UK VW site and under Technical. It shows the Hill Hold function as standard yet the pricelist you download only shows the S having Hill Hold as standard.

GTI-GTD-R

I checked my brochure and its not listed I downloaded the brochure from VW and its still not listed.

The reason I was looking on there as a user on another forum was asking Do you refer to your golf as a 5 or 4, 3 or 2 door? VW list the Golf as 3 door and 5 door, I just follow suit.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  13. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    Is it possible to push-start a manual TDI?
    I have done this to my manual CR-V twice, when I forgot to turn the light off inside, and left it for the night, which drained the battery.
    Also, when you burn the clutch, are you burning the disks, or the clutch fluid, that can be added? How often does the clutch need to be replaced?
  14. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    When I test-drove a manual JSW, I noticed the clutch catches up higher than in most other vehicles I drove before. Is this how it is supposed to be? In Toyota you barely release the clutch and it catches, in the VW I drove I had to get my foot up in the air, before the clutch caught.
  15. probstk

probstk Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI Highline 6sp
    Mods:
    Dieselgeek Sigma 6 shift kit
    I've never been accused of being the swiftest fella...

Just realized last night that the brakes (hill hold) are released as soon as you touch the accelerator. I assumed it was a time thing until now and have waited for the brakes to release before hittin' the gas.
  16. Rob Mullins

Rob Mullins New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    While not a Jetta, my 2012 Golf TDI has the hill hold feature. I've driven a standard since the mid-80s. I don't *need* hill-hold, but I sure have come to appreciate it.
  17. 1analguy

1analguy New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 2dr 6-speed
    Mods:
    205/65-15 LRRs On MSW Type 15s, Euro Switch, Euro
    The hill hold feature on my '11 US Golf TDI 6-speed manual really does operate seamlessly. When I first got the car, I noticed the choice to turn it on or off in the MFI (it was on). Well, me being a life-long, macho stick driver...I turned it off immediately. A few months later, I decided to turn it back on to compare it to the hill holder on my '09 Challenger R/T. The R/T's hill holder is a bit intrusive, in that it doesn't release quite as easily/quickly as the the one on the VW. I believe that the VW's system is currently about as close to ideal as they're going to get it, though it could wait a second or two longer before self-releasing when you take your foot off of the brake. If you're on a hill (with the hill holder active) and you just remove your foot from the brake without letting out the clutch or feeding it any fuel, it will wait about two seconds before releasing the brakes and you're off and rolling...ready or not. Two seconds is almost always long enough (excepting "brain farts"), so it's really a pretty neat and useful feature. I like it a lot.
  18. krauthammer

krauthammer New Member

Car:
    2001 jetta 2002 jetta
    Mods:
    none
    It comes standard with the lighted vanity mirror option. : ) , you know like FORD putting the " man " step on tailgates.
  19. tdi_votex

tdi_votex New Member

Car:
    Jetta 03
    Mods:
    To many
  20. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Member

Car:
    TDI Beetle Convertible, 2013