TDI BRM Camshaft problems

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Cire1963, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Cire1963

Cire1963 New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2005
    I have read a lot about the wiped cams on TDI BRMS. I am the latest victom, lobes have the sharp burred edges but I have not torn it down as of yet. I am thinking about purchasing the Kermatdi colt 2 cam with stage 1 kit. The whole deal runs about $400 more than the standard OEM stage 1 kits I have seen on idparts and someother sites. Does anyone have a idea if which way to go, or has anyone use the Kermatdi cam? I spoke to Kermatdi and they stated the cam provides a performance increase also. I have 135000 miles my car so I plan to keep it for a while. I was also wondering if I should go all out and do the stage 2 kit (timing chain, water pump, belt, filters, mounts and bolts since I am so far into this. All in all the stage 1 kit runs about $1200 and the stage 2 $1500??

Thanks for your feedback
    login to remove this ad
  2. cheefpilot

cheefpilot New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta TDI
    I used a Franko6 chrome plated cam along with his modified cam bearings. Seems to be working great so far. The instructions on this site are really good, I did the timing belt at the same time as the cam.
  3. bkhodum

bkhodum New Member

Car:
    mine too

130,000 here and cam and lifter gone. i ordered a stock replacement kit but im just not sure if im gonna stay in this rat race or trade the car. colt and franko, both are good cams but i dont think its gonna matter because its a half a$$ design from vw and until you add wider lobes your gonna be back in the same boat. i was advised that i needed to use the 40w oil instead of the 30w oil to prevent this from happening again. REALLY,,COME ON,,REALLY,, i've been in the service field all my life and it amazes me at what companys can blame when they know they screwed up. anyway i will use 30w vw approved oil seeing that i have bought about 10 cases and i WILL add lucas oil treatment on every oil change. lucas is a very hi grade synthetic lube and if i would have followed my first instinct instead of listening to vw i might not be replacing it as soon.
  4. bkhodum

bkhodum New Member

Car:
    one more note,,i asked about using lucas in the vw oil and they advised it would be to thick that i need the thinner 30w. now we're saying the 30w is too thin :confused::BS
  5. cheefpilot

cheefpilot New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta TDI
    I replaced mine when car had just under 90k so you guys made it farther than me. Of course mine was still running fine, I just chose to go ahead and replace it before it got worse and really caused problems. I'm hoping these modified bearings will increase the lubrication and make this cam last longer.
  6. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Same here. Replaced mine at 88K miles with the Franko6 chromed cam, modified bearings, black lifters and did the oil clocking mod and recommended break in.

Mine was showing the sharp edge on one of the lobes, some slight lifter dishing, the copper streaking and 1 or 2 (can't remember) of the gallery plugs in the injector rocker axle had popped out probably degrading oiling to the injector rockers. I could have put off cam replacement until maybe 150K miles or so, but I didn't want to wait until I was having performance issues.

How long will it last? I don't have a clue, but I suspect that it will last longer that the stock cam by a fair amount. We will see..............

Let's see. in 100K miles between the cam, timing belt and replacing the really craptastic DMF clutch with a bullet proof SMF clutch I'm at right around $2000 in parts for major repairs. Could be better but I'm reasonably certain I'll make it to 200K miles with routine maintenance. Did I mention I'm still on my OEM brakes, starter, alternator, suspension etc?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
  7. chris808

chris808 New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    108,000 miles and one of my lifters is bad too. Dealer quoted me $1000.00+ for labor plus 1500.00 for parts. Planning on just doing it myself with parts from metalman and help from the local military hobby shop. So lucky the forum has a great DIY. Before the valve cover got poped the dealer suggested replacing my turbo charger. They said they had never heard of camshaft problems. When I showed the forum thread they popped the valve cover for free to confirm my suspicions.
  8. ROVERTTDI

ROVERTTDI New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta SE TDI
    All the PD owner's with bad camshafts should make a Facebook page to capture VWs attention. I've written them several times about this on-going issue and they seem to believe that the "100,000 km or 5 year warranty" is sufficient...think again.

Who's in on the facebook page?
  9. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Active Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Stay away from that dealer, they don't have a clue.

To some dealers, changing the turbo is part of their throw parts at it until it is fixed troubleshooting process.
  10. Dmcampbell

Dmcampbell New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta tdi
    Ol'rattler: Why did you choose this cam over the stock and the Colt from Kerma? Also what are the improved bearings and Oil clocking mods? Our 2006 Jetta TDI has 92,000 miles and I pulled the cam cover to inspect before doing the TB and WP and found four of the eight lobes worn. Dealer wants $3750 to do it all. Thanks, Mike
  11. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    Did you use the thiner oil? The recommended 30 weight stuff? My understanding was the heat in the south and the thiner oil did not work out so well?

Frank developed a slotted bearing for better oil flow. Not sure on what the Oil clocking mod was, but, others surely know... I have no signs now, and hope to not have to replace till well after 100K on the car.
  12. Dmcampbell

Dmcampbell New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta tdi
    Used the 505.1 spec oil in 5w-40. Started with Amsoil and recently switch to Valvoline. Why the cam choice though?
  13. wicklowtdi

wicklowtdi New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta
    105,000 on my 2005.5 tdi. Camshaft is gone as well. Did anyone's have deep gouges in it? My number one lobe has a deep gouge parallel to where it should have a chamfer.
  14. pitchb

pitchb New Member

Car:
    jetta/2006
    Camshaft

2006 TDI mine is currently in the shop will pick up tomorrow. 140,000 miles three of the valve caps were completly worn through and the others were cupped. will replace the camshaft, bearings, and caps $2400 plus. I called customer care at 800-822-8987 they took my concern and said they could not help. NHTSA will receive the concern. They issue the recalls. I think they only recall safety issues not engineering. I think VW is burying their heads. The camshaft was probably made by a company other than the one that made the valve caps and they were never tested for long term wear against each other please continue to voice your concerns. i feel anybody with 120,000 miles plus should have their cam and caps replaced. Hurry
  15. Rlee8394

Rlee8394 New Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta TDI
    My 2005.5 is coming up on 178,000 miles. When timing belt was replaced at 101,000 miles, we checked the wear and I was getting the chamfer on the lobes. Switched to Rotella T6 with 4 oz. of ZDDPlus at each oil change. Hoped to slow down the wear. Now ready to do the cam/lifter change. Thinking of getting the IDParts kit for $729.00. Just need someone to perform the switch. I could probably handle it, but would rather have it done by someone who knows exactly what to do and has been throught it before.

Ron
  16. Dmcampbell

Dmcampbell New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta tdi
    Same just happened to our 2006 Jetta DSG TDI at 92,000 miles - so you should feel lucky to have gone that far!! So, never having worked on the TDI before, but being very mechanically involved in older Porsches, I tackled it all myself with the use of a friend's lift, trans jack and an above engine bar support over two weekends. I sourced a D'M'F' flywheel (newest version), Colt Stage 2 cam kit w/ lifters, bearings and hardware, the EGR cooler with the three gaskets (2 for cooler/ 1 for upper turbo oil drain) needed, the heater core coolant hoses, Q-Loader Tune and a Osirius skid plate all from Kerma TDI. Paul and staff were fantastic help and he gave me great pricing on the package. I also purchased a Timing belt kit (TB, Water Pump, Tensioner, idler pulley, Accessory belt, coolant and tools) from DieselGeek, but in hind sight I should have just sourced these from Kerma as well. I then proceeded in the following general order: Drain oil and coolant; Remove trans, R&R flywheel, install trans; removed timing belt; R&R cam, bearings & lifters; R&R water pump, tensioner, idler; Time and install Timing and accessory belts; R&R EGR Cooler & heater hoses; Refill coolant/oil w/ new filter and drove for a week. Then I installed the Kerma tune w/ the Q-Loader and the power is amazing! Car runs better than new - quick starts and smooth idle with little smoke under full throttle. I am now seeing about 37mpg around town and 51+mpg on hwy at 75 mph! I Have about 600 miles on car after all the work and plan to change oil/filter again at 1000 miles. B/T/W, torquing of all fasteners is essential and although I did source new subframe stretch bolts from Diesel Geek, which must be removed to drop DSG, the dealer advises they never change these. Obviously, you must use new flywheel bolts. In all I think I spent about $3,000 in parts, but saved nearly that much or more in labor. Good luck, Mike
  17. Lou Ferrigno

Lou Ferrigno New Member

Car:
    bora 2002 150
    Mine gone too, mine lasted to 109k on my 2002 Bora my cam lobes have worn at both ends and dished the lifters.
    I got everything from a engine supplier in the UK from ebay for £209 and i am going to do the work my self,, well when i build up the courage to start stripping the engine ;-)
  18. paulas tdi

paulas tdi New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2005.5
    we've got 181000 mi. on ours used VW castrol 5-40 1st 40k than they switch to 5-30 ? We switched to Amsoil 5-40 at 80k and now we are changing Cam & lifters At 181k ( maybe Amsoils got something )