TDI Beetle 2006 No Power Black Smoke

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by captm77, Jul 28, 2011.

1. captm77

captm77 New Member

Car:
    New Beetle/2006
    Just purchased I think 1.9, BEW, MK-4 with known problem of lots of black smoke, little power, pinging and separate issue looks like a pouring bad rear seal. I have VCDS but DO NOT know how to use it yet. The car will barely pull itself on the ramps. Any help would be appreciated (directions to a VCDS step by step thread if yall have already beat this horse (this engine is new to me). Presently own 2001 Jetta TDI 308,000 miles ZERO Issues, not even a fuel filter change-(probably needs one). Thanks
    login to remove this ad
  2. toledotom

toledotom New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta/2004
    It is your Turbo, it is bad and sucking oil from it through your air cooler into the intake. The seals are shot in the Turbo or the shaft in the turbo cartridge is broke or stuck. DO NOT Drive the car, the pinging is the Engine starving for OIL and oil going into the combustion air causing bad firing!
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  4. captm77

captm77 New Member

Car:
    New Beetle/2006
    Thanks the low power article link; it is exactly what I was looking and hoping for. The smoke is not oil filled bluish stinky oil smoke. It appears to be like the the big rigs pulling off the line with a heavy load (maybe not that bad) sooty smoke. There is soot still on the back of the car from when it was parked before I bought it. The battery is dead but is new, so I jumped and scanned the best I could before seeing this link and it said I had a fuel Temp Sensor open or short (P0183). Found sensor with broken wire from being in a bind a very long time. Just finished soldering and insulating. Will run and start troubleshooting per link soon. Thanks for the help.
  5. captm77

captm77 New Member

Car:
    New Beetle/2006
    I'm at a standstill because my rear seal is POURING oil. I don't want to blow it all under the car while trying to take data. So can anyone point me to a thread on removing the automatic transmission??????? I've removed an engine with a MK1 before but not this one. I want to just remove the transmission replace the seal (per this forums directions very carefully) then let it set fill with oil and watch it a while before re-installing the tranny.
  6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    No but if you want to make one, it would help others a lot. Also, there's a writeup contest as a carrot for those who take lots of pictures and notes like bolt sizes, etc. See the general forum sticky post for details and guidelines. It shouldn't be too different from manual removal except you'll have trans coolant lines and a torque converter. I'm not sure on this engine but check out the transmission removal article for b5 passat for some general ideas too. It should be similar.
  7. captm77

captm77 New Member

Car:
    New Beetle/2006
    Torque Converter has NO BOLTS. It splines into a flywheel, does not bolt to a thin flex plate. It stays secured to the transmission. I will put together some notes later on.
  8. captm77

captm77 New Member

Car:
    New Beetle/2006
    Soot Smoke Low Power Fuelly Exhaust

Replaced rear seal leaker. Now trouble shooting SOOT FUEL EXHAUST. Here is graph EGR w/duty. PS-throwing code 16786.

Attached Files:

9. captm77

captm77 New Member

Car:
    New Beetle/2006
    I started the car cold in the shop with the intake "boost" hose off. There is plenty of boost flow coming through the hose but as I was looking into the intake, the electric FLAPPER went completely closed and stayed there for a long time before I shut the car off. When it did open after the normal pause it went "flump" (like pulling your thumb out of a coke bottle) because it was under a LOT of vacuum....(during this long time period I reattached the boost hose but it did not change the rough idle and the butterfly did not reopen). I restarted the car and it attempted to regulate flow with the flapper closing partially but very erratic. This time it did not close but was very erratic acting like it was going to close. I also removed the electric EGR and it does open and shut with throttle action and did not appear to be sticking and was only lightly sooted with no build up. This great looking car will fill an area immediately with heavy fueled exhaust and leave heavy soot on the shop floor.
    Warm
    At idle:0.8l/h
    32%throttle 1800rpm=3.8l/h
    65%throttle 1950rpm=9.6l/h
    @1386rpm
    Inj Dev= +0.35,-0.49,-3.01,+2.99 What does this mean?
    Quantity=12.9mg/str
  10. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

EOBD II Error Code: P0183

Fault Location:
    Fuel temperature sensor A - high input

Possible Cause:
    Wiring short to positive.
    Fuel temperature sensor.
    Engine control module (ECM).

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/

Black smoke from a diesel engine indicates poor and incomplete combustion of the diesel fuel.

You can post your VCDS queries in Ross Tech VCDS forum
  11. captm77

captm77 New Member

Car:
    New Beetle/2006
    Thanks, I ended up cutting the connector and soldering a new connector for the fuel temp sensor. No codes from it anymore and temps now look good. Only code now is P0402.
  12. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  13. captm77

captm77 New Member

Car:
    New Beetle/2006
    Cleared all codes. Took a long drive logging blocks 3,4,11,13 and 23. No CEL but fault P0401 EGR insufficient flow is in now----- not P0402 excessive flow that I had before. Lots of fuel smoke still (idle and load) and the car still shudders under load conditions.
  14. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 16785
    EOBD II Error Code: P0401

Fault Location:
    Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system - insufficient flow detected

Possible Cause:
    Hose leak/blockage.
    Basic setting not carried out.
    Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve/solenoid.