1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

TDI 1.9 ALH Injector Pump Install

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by stump, Jul 3, 2012.

1. stump

stump New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 1999
    I bought a rebuilt injector pump and have a problem with setting the timing. Is there a timing mark on the pump when you put a new woodruff key on the front of the pump? How does the connector for the gear align to the pump? And what size woodruff key do I need?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Do you mean there's nothing on the end? Just a shaft and no pulley?
  3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    correct there is NO KEY on a alh... the 3 bolt hub is a press fit...
  4. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    It's a tapered fit... extremely tight...

The "rebuilt" pump (by any chance did you buy it from a seller in North Carolina???) should have had the hub already installed and timed... you'll need to send the pump to a Bosch shop to have it properly timed unless you're a fan of Roulette...

Good luck,

Yuri
  5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    your correct... id also consider that a "press fit" as it requires the nut to tighten it soo much it does not slip.. much like a cam gear... but even more so on the pump it seems...

if you wanna "prey" method it... the key way slot in the pump should be in the 10-11 o'clock position... imagine a straight line thru the pump.. the #1 injector fitting off the pump it should be dead nuts in line with...

but yes.. the 3 bolt hub is not supposed to be removed.. when i did my disco pump on my ahu i had to remove its "hub" different then vw anyways.. most put a alh pully set up on it... i had my ahu pully modded so i could reuse the key.. and also prevented more bs of finding a later set up and thinning it out machine work to fit the newer pully on a ahu.. this was for a mechanical tdi project in my kubvan..