TDI 1.9 ALH Injector Pump Install

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by stump, Jul 3, 2012.

1. stump

stump New Member

Car:
    jetta tdi 1999
    I bought a rebuilt injector pump and have a problem with setting the timing. Is there a timing mark on the pump when you put a new woodruff key on the front of the pump? How does the connector for the gear align to the pump? And what size woodruff key do I need?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Do you mean there's nothing on the end? Just a shaft and no pulley?
  3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    correct there is NO KEY on a alh... the 3 bolt hub is a press fit...
  4. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    It's a tapered fit... extremely tight...

The "rebuilt" pump (by any chance did you buy it from a seller in North Carolina???) should have had the hub already installed and timed... you'll need to send the pump to a Bosch shop to have it properly timed unless you're a fan of Roulette...

Good luck,

Yuri
  5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    your correct... id also consider that a "press fit" as it requires the nut to tighten it soo much it does not slip.. much like a cam gear... but even more so on the pump it seems...

if you wanna "prey" method it... the key way slot in the pump should be in the 10-11 o'clock position... imagine a straight line thru the pump.. the #1 injector fitting off the pump it should be dead nuts in line with...

but yes.. the 3 bolt hub is not supposed to be removed.. when i did my disco pump on my ahu i had to remove its "hub" different then vw anyways.. most put a alh pully set up on it... i had my ahu pully modded so i could reuse the key.. and also prevented more bs of finding a later set up and thinning it out machine work to fit the newer pully on a ahu.. this was for a mechanical tdi project in my kubvan..