Tapatalk -iphone, ipod, android forum viewer for VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum

Discussion in 'site comments/suggestions/corrections' started by chittychittybangbang, Aug 31, 2010.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Someone sent me a PM so I added tapatalk to myturbodiesel.com . This is a paid app for the iphone, ipod, ipad, or android that lets you view the forum in their format. The only problem is that there's a ton of content referenced in the FAQ section which cannot be viewed with their plugin. You can still use your phone/mobile device's browser to view those pages.

You can find out more about tapatalk at Tapatalk - Forum App on the iPhone, Android, Nokia, and BlackBerry for vBulletin, phpBB, IPBoard, and SMF.

Since I don't have an iphone or ipad, please let me know the functionality of the site or if there are any bugs, problems, or other features you'd like to see.

Which logo do you prefer for the logo associated with tapatalk? A or B? I don't think it'll show up on the main screen of the mobile device (I think it's a $999 option).

Logo A [​IMG] or Logo B [​IMG]
    login to remove this ad
  2. ProfessorX

ProfessorX New Member

I can see the first one is a clutch and the second one is a glow plug light. But how many people know what either of those are? How about a simple logo?
  3. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    tapatalk updated to most current version
  4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    A total waste of money in my opinion using a phone to web search. No wonder you can't see the logos on a 3"x3" screen?
  5. TDIStevestr

TDIStevestr Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 4 Door DSG
    Thanks for being so willing to try new things here. I just installed TapaTalk mainly for VWVortex thread reading and posting so it's cool to see that myturbodiesel is also on there.

If the cost for a logo really is $999 I would pass on that. Way too high for a 3x3 PNG or whatever.
  6. TDIStevestr

TDIStevestr Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 4 Door DSG
    Right now it looks like "a" is showing but I have a soft spot for "b"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305053144.055491.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. TDIStevestr

TDIStevestr Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 4 Door DSG
    One more shot … this is what it looks like from the "accounts" screen:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305053885.849489.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I have changed it to logo b. I meant to do this earlier but they make it really difficult to edit your forum. I literally spent over 1/2 hour searching trying to figure out how. There's no screen to edit it, instead you have to register a new forum and hit "cancel" instead of submit. Then it takes you to your current forum details. There is no alternative way to find that account info. What bad design, there should be a "user details" or "account info" type link visible anywhere.
  9. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    For the OP, Not sure if it applies here but clubtouareg had a free app to load their site. It works awesome with all the features and makes it really easy to use the forum. I actually got to a point where I don't use the web version anymore. Maybe see if whatever they're using is easier to personalize than tapatalk?

Also, TDIStevestr, how you like using tapatalk? Is it easy to navigate the different sections of the forum, see updates to subscribed threads, etc?

Good job on the forum guys, the only thing I don't like so far is that I don't get automatically subscribed to a thread when I reply to it, but that's easy to deal with. :)
  10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks for the tip, I can't find their app, do you have a linnk? To automatically subscribe to a thread, go to your user control panel and change the option for default subscription.
  11. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...yIOO77a0c1Err4PEQ&sig2=NjOYD8ZAP8-oe6-xPoqibQ

See if that link works. If it's too much work it might not be worth it to design your own. Although keep in mind that if you add iAds to the app you get the revenue for the forum instead of it going to the developers if tapatalk. I haven't noticed ads on tapatalk yet but, personally, I think it's ridiculous I paid for the app and now I get adds on it on top of it
  12. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I'm not sure what software they're using for the app.

This forum software you're using now has a mobile app but it's $200 1st year, $100/year after that. For that kind of investment for limited users, the community would have to fill the donation box. It would also require a considerable time investment on my part to learn to work with it because it's not a plug-play app like tapatalk. Due to the time investment I'm already putting forth, the community would have to show strong interest for a custom app. They can do so by posting in this thread. Tapatalk is a simple forum plug-in and everything complicated is done on their end.

Tapatalk will let you do your own branded app and receive any income from it...for $1000...which is beyond the budget of this site.
  13. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    Seems like too much work to be worth it. I'll just consider my tapatalk purchase as a non-direct donation to the forum in the sense that it saves you time and money. :) oh well, it was a good idea to investigate.
  14. TDIStevestr

TDIStevestr Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 4 Door DSG
    Tapatalk is not too bad. Not too friendly when attempting to attach images but no major issues so far.
  15. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    updated to the latest version of tapatalk. This required some forum template edits, please let me know if it's not working.