Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Tom21, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Tom21

Tom21 New Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI
    I have been trying to figure out whether I should just switch to a regular diesel oil instead of using the syntheic oil recommended for my TDI. I am replacing my camshaft this weekend and after viewing several posts here, I see a lot of conflicting opinions about the viscosity of the recomended 505.01 sythetic oil. I have used the 505.01 in my TDI since I bought it 8 years ago.
    The dealer blamed the oil I was using by saying it was too thin, but then others say a heavier weight is not good for the PD TDI.
    I have run other diesels on regular 20-40 weight for years with no wear issues. Since I started using synthetic oils in this TDI and checking with others that use it in both gas and diesel engines, it seems to me that they are experiencing premature wear on various internal parts.
    As always, I am opened to any thoughts/opinions.

T21
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    There are 5w-40 505.01 oils that I use. Lubro moly. CI rated oil, compression ignition, have some more detergents. I don't know what's special about 505.01 spec specifically and whatever it is, it didn't work. But since there is a 5w-40 in 505.01 that's what I use.
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    Mobil 1 TDT, Rotella T-6 or other quality 5-40 diesel oils and you will be good. I worry less about the VW rating and more about it being a quality oil. Pentosin HP II is another...
  4. millerrick7

millerrick7 New Member

Car:
    jetta 2003
    new 2 vw tdi forum

Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 is good to use.
  5. jgeorge

jgeorge Member

Car:
    2003 golf tdi
    Mods:
    V-tech power module