Stumble and miss during regen

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Fuzzylogix, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Fuzzylogix

Fuzzylogix New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 Speed Manual
    Hi folks,

Two times now, when the car is in "regen" mode, I've experienced missing, stumbling and hesitation. It is brief, but very noticeable. Otherwise, the car has run flawlessly since I bought it 12/3. I now have 1,800 miles on it.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas on what's up?
    login to remove this ad
  2. neehigha

neehigha New Member

Car:
    Golf/2010
    I have experienced something akin to what you describe. I have just over 30,000 miles on my 2010 Golf, and have experienced what I would term a stumble or unusal shake. It is not constant. It occurs may be every 10 seconds or so while stopped at a traffic light and am in the middle of the regen cycle. I have never experienced this when on the freeway/highway at speed (65 to 75mph) and regen is transpiring.
  3. Feyd

Feyd New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    I have also experienced this stumble on two occasions that I can remember.

Car does shake quite a bit during this process, but it does seem to go away after a while... :dunno

I'm at just under 14k.
  4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

No I haven't noticed any stumbling and hesitation then again I haven't noticed if its ever done a DPF regen.
  5. Fuzzylogix

Fuzzylogix New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 Speed Manual
    Thanks for the welcome, Keith. Yeah, it is pronounced like a cylinder is not firing when I upshift. Or, it hesitates from stop when pulling away from a light. I guess if it happens again, it is dealer time. Went on a long drive today and the car, as always ran flawlessly. Incredible mileage too.
  6. speedracer1407

speedracer1407 Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    The only thing I've noticed that my car is in regen is the lumpy idle. But whenever I get "on the gas," there's never any stumble. And as I've mentioned many times in previous posts, my car feels like an absolute rocket when in regen. Instantaneous turbo response at much lower RPM than usual, a much bigger swell of torque in the mid range, and more persistent power at higher RPM than usual.

After my first oil change back in September, when they also performed an engine software upgrade, regen seems to happen way more often, and I love it.
  7. agoodhi

agoodhi New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Me too! :nana2:

I bet a diesel tune would make my car drive like this all the time :D
  8. sgtpeper67

sgtpeper67 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf, 4-door, 6spd, black
    This is exactly what I've noticed.
  9. golfTDI1

golfTDI1 Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr
    Mods:
    see signature
    Its funny because in 35,000 miles, I've never noticed anything rough abt my idle (its just a few hundred RPM higher), or any stumbling/missing at any time, let alone at regen time...and I'm very much in tune with what my car is doing at all times.

Of course I have notice the increased response and power, which as you all know is normal during regen for boost to be increased to compensate for the added exhaust heat requirement and increased engine load during the regen...quite frankly, it more than compensates, and like the others have said, the car really flys during that time.

As most of you know, my car is currently at VW getting the intercooler update due to icing and starting problem. The 2011 Jetta TDI DSG loaner they gave me with 4500 miles did an active regen yesterday while I was driving around town and I noticed it behaved just like my Golf does. No shaking, missing, stumbling, or rough idle.
    my two cents