Stuck #3 Cylinder Injector Retaining Nut

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by JusLookinForAdvice, Jan 7, 2012.

1. JusLookinForAdvice

JusLookinForAdvice New Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta TDI
    Vehicle-2000 JettaTDI 217K
    Mods-2mic CAT fuel filter, AFE Intake, 3" Turbo Back

Problem- I cannot get the #3 Injector retaining nut out. I did unthread thread the injector body from the retaining nut and have made multiple attempts to loosen the carbon buildup between the nut and engine block with PBR Blasting Lubricant, CRC Carb CLeaner, and CRC Freeze Off. After every application of the formentioned chemicals I would then rethread the body back in (all internal parts removed including nozzle) and attempt to pull it out with all the force I could get on a pair of ViseGrips. After 2 hours of attempts to yank it out and damaging the injector body and sensor wire I gave up.

Today I tried the Slide Hammer method; mine having even more weight than the one Metalnerd sells; threaded on to the injector body and still not coming out; not even the slightest budge.

Has anyone threaded something into the machine threads of the retaining nut and had results? Any other ideas/solutions would be much appreciated.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    You really need to get the injector to turn slightly to break the hold then pull up. I used a big spanner on the top and turned it clockwise to do that, I then got a spare fuel pipe and screwed it on and used that to pull on but I think if you can get it to turn just s fraction your slide hammer should do the rest.

welcometomyturbodies
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It sounds like it's just really seized and you've done everything possible to try to get it out. As seatman said, you already tried twisting it? How did the other ones come out ok? This is going to sound nutty but as a last resort, try cranking the engine with fuel stop solenoid engaged or anti shudder valve closed and see if it pops out. You could use a rag to catch it...
  4. JusLookinForAdvice

JusLookinForAdvice New Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta TDI
    The other three came out fairly smooth; all in one piece; but still took some serious pulling to extract. I choose to do the #3 injector last cause it was different and just thought it was a good idea.

Now I have attempted to break the seal of the retaining nut through counter clockwise tightening of the injector body but still no results. Method #1- I threaded the banjo nut-fuel-line back on but eventually reached a point where it felt like any further and thread damage would occur. Method #2- Using a 15mm wrench to turn injector body on the two flat spots at base but it eventually stopped in a position parallel with engine block leaving no room to get the wrech on it.

I am now at point where I think I will have to replace the (#3 injector body w/sensor) because the wire is severed where it meets the injector. So I will again attempt to break the seal; this time applying more torque to the nut without fear of thread damage since I need a new one anyway. I'll keep that engine crank method in mind also.