Strut Bearing Replacement 2010 Golf Wagon TDI

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by patrickivan, Jun 5, 2017.

1. patrickivan

patrickivan New Member

Car:
    Golf Wagon TDI, 2010
    I've been informed that my strut bearing needs replacing barely 2 months after getting my used Golf Wagon from the Barrie VW Dealer. I'm not hard on my car.

Regardless, being pretty hands on, I've been hunting for specific instructions on the strut bearing replacement for this model, and I'll be honest, I'm stymied on this.

I've tried the search function. Google. I've searched under Jetta Sportwagen...

Now I've seen entire strut assembly replacement instructions, but that small detail about the wheel bearing is eluding me.

Does the strut need to be compressed and the top strut bolt need to be removed to access that wheel bearing? This is different than the prior models, eh?

I really don't want to pay hundreds to replace a $30 part. That just depresses me. And I really don't want to remove the strut and take it half apart if possible.

If anyone has any instructions on this, I'd appreciate it.

Though with the car being at 180000 km, maybe I SHOULD just replace the both struts in their entirety... A local VW mechanic suggested that at the very least the springs should due to some odd breakage that he said occurs with them around 200000 km.

Fixing cars can be fun. If you have all the information needed first so you don't bugger it up.

Anyway- thanks for any help in advance.

2. patrickivan

patrickivan New Member

Car:
    Golf Wagon TDI, 2010
    I'm an idiot...

I read this thread http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/strut-shock-installation-and-replacement-mk5-vw-tdi-and-audi-a3/ twice already.

THIS time, I did a ctrl F "find" keyword search of "bearings" in the thread and found exactly what I was looking for.

It does indeed look like I need to compress the springs and remove that top nut, AND need a special tool for that specifically.

I don't undervalue an auto tech's time, but the thought of that kind of money for such a small (important) part just irks me.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II
    Mods:
    n/a
    Quote..."Though with the car being at 180000 km, maybe I SHOULD just replace the both struts in their entirety... A local VW mechanic suggested that at the very least the springs should due to some odd breakage that he said occurs with them around 200000 km."

While you're doing what you already know you need to do ;), consider doing your half shafts (axles), ball joints, wheel bearings, steering rod ends (inner and outer), sway bar links and bushings, upper and lower A-arm bushings and brakes "AS REQUIRED" at the same time. Some of those items probably "also" need attention after 180,000 km. If you plan to keep the vehicle, this will save time and money tearing it apart again later.

Just a friendly speaking from experience.

4. Vdubcaddy

Vdubcaddy New Member

Car:
    Vw caddy 2004
    Odd you should say that Frodoz, I've just finished replacing all of my front end, but now I've got an annoying creaking from the front:(, I suspect that there's a bolt that hasn't been torqued correctly? Or the parts being after market need time to settle?
    Either way I shall just recheck the torques.

5. patrickivan

patrickivan New Member

Car:
    Golf Wagon TDI, 2010
    A lot of the front end (and more) was done as part of the sale at VW.

The crappy thing was the lack of service history from the prior owner. So I suppose you're right, and I have to assume that those struts are original and should be done...

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II
    Mods:
    n/a
    The term "creaking' can be defined differently by just about everyone out there. My 2 new front sway bar "bushings" had me going for a few days. Try to methodically isolate where the sound is coming using something like WD40 at first. Do only one area at a time and drive/recheck. Shouldn't take long.

7. Vdubcaddy

Vdubcaddy New Member

Car:
    Vw caddy 2004
    That's exactly what I was intending to do once I get the vehicle back. It's in for some sill work at the minute.

frodoz737 likes this.