strange electrical problem

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by jarsd200, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jarsd200

jarsd200 New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta tdi
    My turn signals stop blinking when i hit the brakes. The Brake lights still come on except for the third break light which is very dim.

all turn signal lights work. However when i turn my headlights on, the rear turn signals do not flash but my break lights flash. This also causes the front blinker to blink twice as fast.

Additionally when i hit the breaks without the flashers on, all of the turn signals turn on at about half brightness and stay steady on. This still occurred when i removed the relay that controlled the blinkers.

i haven't been able to find anything like this and every one i asked didn't have any solutions. i checked the fuses and they were all still good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum Rich. welcometomyturbodies

That sounds light an earth fault so check all the earth connections on all units.
  3. jarsd200

jarsd200 New Member

Car:
    98 Jetta tdi
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. There was a short in the ground wire in the connector to the tail light. I removed the connector and re wired the light. This solved the problem