VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Steering wheel shake VW Touareg TDI lux

22K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  mctdi 
#1 ·
I have a new Toureg, TDI Lux, 2012 and on the highway the steering wheel shakes. It happens around 65-85 mph, going straight, smooth road.

The dealer when first told about the problem balanced the tires. It didn't fix the problem. Next they road forced balanced the tires, didn't fix it. Then they took it to a tire shop that they say has a better machine for balancing. It didn't fix it either.

First they said, the tires are defective, then they said it's normal for vehicles with a truck chassis to shake like that. I don't believe that it's normal to have the wheel shake like that.

Has anyone had a similar problem and how was it resolved?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Steering shake usually means front. Wheel bearings whine in slow speed turns. If it was a rim, they should have seen it wobble on the balance machine. If it was a simple matter of balance, the problem would more likely be down between 50-60 mph. Not sure they even spin the balance machine faster than that. Given that your issue starts at a faster speed and persists over a wider range, I'd go with bad tire or tires. They should be under warranty for the 1st year - right ?

//greg//

#4 ·
I've had the exact same issue in a 2012 Touareg TDI executive I purchased 2/13/12. Same story - first I was told it was the "rubberized" highways in my state causing the shaking, took it to another dealer and I went through your same process of balancing, road force balancing, taken to another shop, then they replaced all 4 tires (tires not the rims)....still not fixed. I talked to the service manager and they have another 2012 Touareg currently at the shop with the same problem - apparently a service rep from VW is there trying to diagnose the problem. I'm taking my car back in Monday and if it can't be fixed I'm going straight to a lawyer to file a lemon law. No way I'm paying 57k for an SUV that shakes on the freeway. Period.

#5 ·
Same issue

Just had my 2012 Touareg returned from another week at the dealer on this steering wheel vibration/oscillation issue. This is the 3rd tour of extended testing at the dealer. This last time a VW QTM supposedly involved. Previously, re-balance and alignment and subsequently switched off the stock Pirelli's to Michelins with new rims. No resolution. I own a LUX model and was given an Executive this past weekend for an extended 800 mile trip. Same problem in this model and admission that others they have tested do the same. My return resulted in "must be the nature of the beast"! and no resolution. If anyone comes across the problem causing this issue or finds a resolution most interested in having it passed along. Next step is to investigate 3rd party services and possible lemon law resolution. Accumulated nearly 3 weeks of dealership service time.

#6 ·
This does appear to be a "characteristic" of the vehicle. The vibration/wobble, while exhibited primarily in the steering wheel can also be felt in the seats as you are driving. It occurs on smooth or rough roads and it can be intermittent, smoothing out at times. I've gone through every step mentioned below. Multiple balances, dynamic road force balance, new tires, new dealership balancing equipment and dealing with the VW corporate in Michigan. Each time I'm told they road tested and the problem is solved. I leave the dealership and its immediately apparent the problem is still there. The intermittant nature of the problem also seems to indicate it is not a tire or wheel balancing issue since that usually occurs at a certain speed and with consistency. The bottom line is that there does not seem to be an answer from VW to resolving the problem and I'm guessing that it is unfortunately part of the engineering design. I've driven another 2012 Touareg lux, and it has the exact same problem. Too bad.. it is one of the nicest auto's on the road today, but to pay 55K for something that vibrates like that is not acceptable.

#7 ·
More like coincidence I'd say. Two for two doesn't make an issue a characteristic. Now if a few dozen others chimed in here and said "mine too", you might have a case. FWIW mine has ~17k miles, and has never once exhibited the issue you describe.

//greg//

#8 ·
My 2011 Touareg TDI shakes as well. I had it in 3 times to a dealer in Michigan. The demo I drove didn't shake, that I recalled.

My original tires were Goodyear Eagle LS and shook like crazy. After two times into the dealer, I demanded the Pirelli Scorpion tires that were on the demo, and they swapped them.

It shakes now that I've rotated the tires at 8000 miles.

The dealer told me they should never put performance tires on a 5000lb 'truck'... so maybe that's it? They also always fill the tires to 45 or 50psi, way above the 38psi recommended... I wonder if they know there is an issue and the high pressure mitigates it?

I've had a few issues with this, my virst VW, and have mixed feelings about it. Not happy a $50k vehicle shakes but I do love the tow capability and fuel mileage of the TDI.

Other issues (while I'm on my soap box):
- brakes were warped upon delivery! Had them turned and eventually replaced.
- BSR on IP center door, and mylar tape that we put on one of the latch hooks remedied that
- rear doors mysteriously lock while I'm driving? It's happened 3-4 times. No key fob in my pocket... no leaning on the switch.

#9 ·
Hello - I have a 2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive and noticed the same intermittent vibrations between 70-80Mph. The dealer said there have been no complaints about this, but would research it for me. I have not yet left it for service.

Interesting, I traded a 2010 Audi A4 that had a similar issue. The resolution was replacing the control arms (which was a defect in 2009) but to get to that point, it took 5 visits to the dealership and 5 sets of tires.

I don't want to go through that again, so any information on the resolution of this problem is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

#10 ·
I have the same problem on my 2012 Touraeg TDI Lux!!!

I thought it could be the Michelin's that came from it from the dealership. I bought it used with 16,000 and change on the clock and it does vibrate between 65 and 80 quite consistently.

Could this defect have anything to do with the electric assisted steering?

I smell a RECALL. Come on VW! Take care of your premium car buyers!

#11 ·
Easy Fix

Hey all, I'm new here but I saw this thread and figured I would offer what I found out. Anyway, I had the same exact problem, I had the dealer do the high speed balance and it still shook like crazy at 65-85. Anyhow, while researching several forums I found one that suggested setting the correct torque values on the lug bolts. I cannot remember the exact forum but basically you lift the car off the ground, then loosen the bolts on the front wheels, then using a proper torque wrench re-torque the bolts to the manufacturer recommendations which I believe was around 130lbs(not sure off hand). I put mine at 135 and it worked like a charm. I took a 600+ mile trip a week later and not even a hint of wobble.

As a side note, when I was removing my wheels to re-tighten, the dealer had torqued the bolts on so much that it broke two of my 1/2 drive sockets, it split then right down the side and sheared off an adapter. which of course when it broke put a huge dent in my wheels. Not to mention they were torqued down very un-evenly, one bolt loosened w/o a problem while the next one broke my tools. It was like that on both wheels. I haven't done the rears yet but I will soon

#12 ·
Hello everyone,
I to have 2012 touareg with the shakes at highway speeds. The dealer replaced the tires with Mich lats and the shakes are now intermittent on different road surfaces. Not true though, I drove this weekend on the freeway and in the same lane with no pavement change I experienced the shake intermittently. the only difference was we hit a small bump and it seem to have changed the vehicle behavior, it started to shake right after a small bump in the road? Then I test-drove a new 2013 touarge v6 with 499 miles and it shook worse than ours! i don't know whats going on, but blaming the road is a sorry excuse for this condition. its very disappointing. and I'm disappointed in vw response to a50 k dollar flagship vehicle. Does anyone else have any advise? Thanks

#14 ·
My wheel began the shakes around 5k miles, the ride was butter smooth at delivery. The truck pulled to the right, would not stay in any lane at any speed. Finally, dealer tech mastered the alignment settings. Truck went straight, however, after 13k miles of trying to get it right, the Goodyear LS 2 rubber was toast. I noticed during one of the alignment sessions that the wheels, when off the truck, would fall over when I tried to stand-up the wheel on the shop floor.

I brought this to the attention of the general manager, he asked VW to replace all four tires, & they did.

I had the shaking with both set of rubber, the LS2s & the new Pirelli Scorpions. I no longer have any shaking at 25k miles.

I bought a torque wrench. I use a floor jack and tighten the wheel bolts to 140 ft/lbs with wheel off the ground.

For me, shaking is gone.

#15 ·
try this

one by one jack up the car to have the wheel in the air.
tighten the wheel nuts in a star pattern hand tight, then 80NM, then 120NM then 150NM (or the final torque spec stipulated in your owner's manual)

Do this on all 4 wheels.

I have read a few places where this fixes the "wobble/shake"

#16 ·
Odd fix

For reasons unknown, this is a symptom that tends to occur with Lux and Exec models, with 19" and 20" rims and tires. It is rarely, if ever heard occurring in the Sport model, with 18" rims and 255-55-18" tires in the Goodyear LS 2 or the Scorpions.

Tire manufacturers have 10 years or more of making tires in these 18" sizes.

So, FWIW, ask VW to throw a set of wheels off of a Sport if your car has the shakes, and see if it resolves the problem completely. Not much help, but I have a 2012 and 2013 sport tdi, and both have the Goodyear LS2 tires without the shakes. YMMV as always, but it's worth a try.

#18 ·
This is a well documented issue on Touareg site - Clubtouareg.com

The problem is more prevalant with 19" and 20" wheels. although I own a 2013 LUX with 19" wheels and have never had the problem.

It is a maddening issue (on clubtouareg.com) and users have had varying degrees of success obtaining a solution using methods recommended in this thread (balancing, torque, etc) - it seems a common recurring fix is switching tires to Michelin Latitudes, although this does not solve 100% of the incidents either.

I am (was) thinking about a 2nd Touareg EXEC (20" wheels) model but will probably go with an Audi (new Qt or Q5 TDI) or Cayenne for this issue alone. Plus, users with this issue have received pretty poor response from their dealers (IMO). I think the Touareg is an excellent vehicle (oneof my favorites of all times actually), but I think it is a poor fit with the VW lineup, and VW dealers are ill equipped to care for this level of car (IMO).

#19 ·
This is a well documented issue on Touareg site - Clubtouareg.com

The problem is more prevalant with 19" and 20" wheels. although I own a 2013 LUX with 19" wheels and have never had the problem.

It is a maddening issue (on clubtouareg.com) and users have had varying degrees of success obtaining a solution using methods recommended in this thread (balancing, torque, etc) - it seems a common recurring fix is switching tires to Michelin Latitudes, although this does not solve 100% of the incidents either.

I am (was) thinking about a 2nd Touareg EXEC (20" wheels) model but will probably go with an Audi (new Qt or Q5 TDI) or Cayenne for this issue alone. Plus, users with this issue have received pretty poor response from their dealers (IMO). I think the Touareg is an excellent vehicle (oneof my favorites of all times actually), but I think it is a poor fit with the VW lineup, and VW dealers are ill equipped to care for this level of car (IMO).
Has anyone looked at lower control arm bushings?

Below is from an MK5 Jetta.

Maybe look at this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394275

The whiteline bushings went in last Tuesday with an alignment. Since then NO VIBRATION/SHIMMY. I have driven about 750 miles, and went on the spots of two roads that always had the vibration, and now smooth driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.