1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Steering problem - wobbly at high speeds?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by hansmoman, Mar 17, 2012.

1. hansmoman

hansmoman New Member

Car:
    2005 Golf 1.9 BEW
    Seems to be an issue with the steering on our 2005 Golf TDI / BEW. This is not a car I drive personally, however I took it out for a few test drives. At highway speeds the steering is "loose" -- almost as if the car is blown around in the wind. Turning the wheel just a hair results in a random uncontrollable / moderately large swerve -- it's almost too dangerous to drive at anything over 70mph. My first thought is the steering rack could be damaged, but I am not that knowledgeable about the steering/suspension system.

I had noticed that I needed to add a small amount of power steering fluid every time I changed the oil, however I could not find any noticeable leaks. As a long shot I tried doing the power steering bleed method by turning the steering wheel end to end repeatedly. No matter how much I did that air kept bubbling back up into the reservoir. Is that normal or might there be air being sucked in somewhere?

Everything I could see looked solid / sturdy with the car up on jack stands.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    With the car on the ground, in neutral and handbrake/e brake on, try pushing the front wheels back with your foot, the rear wishbone/lca bushes are notorious for having play and could be part of the issue and that seems like a good way of testing them in my experience.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yes, sounds more like a suspension issue, PS fluid is prob a separate issue. Also check tie rods in addition to the lower arm. Pushing the wheel while jacked up securely side-side up-down will reveal play.
  4. hansmoman

hansmoman New Member

Car:
    2005 Golf 1.9 BEW
    Thanks for the pointer in the right direction -- I see there is even a FAQ for the bushing replacement. It does sound much more plausible that there's a suspension problem. I'll take a look at that ASAP!
  5. Frank M

Frank M Member

Car:
    2000 NB
    Mods:
    ventectomy
    I had the exact same symptoms at around 200k.
    the valving in my rack had worn.
    I got a VW reman and it was fine after that. Check those bushings first. It does take much movement to get the reaction you are experiencing.