Starter Fail 2011 Jetta TDI

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by bruisedfighter, Jan 7, 2012.

1. bruisedfighter

bruisedfighter New Member

Car:
    2011 VW Jetta
    So I went to start my 2011 jetta TDI early in the morning and it turned over once but didn't start. Tried again and had no response. The glow plugs would cycle then nothing. Had to get towed to the dealership where the diagnosed me as having a bad starter. Anyone else had this problem?

Only 19k on my car so all is covered under warrenty but it looks like I am going to have to spend a week in a rental.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I haven't heard of this, it sounds like an isolated problem. If it happens again, try gently knocking on the starter solenoid to see if it's sticking. No sound at all when you tried to turn it over? No clicking or whirring?

What were the temps like when you tried to stat? Wondering if it's related to fuel gel or an iced over intercooler: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/mysterious-trouble-starting-12186/
  3. bruisedfighter

bruisedfighter New Member

Car:
    2011 VW Jetta
    It cranked for a few seconds then nothing. After that I tried to start it at least 15 more times and it would do absolutely nothing as I sat in disbelief as this new car died on me .

It was cold out in the high 20s. If it was a fuel gelling or iced intercooler the engine would still turn over though. Correct? I would not get anything after the glow plugs cycled.

The service writer said this was the first incident of a bad started on this car he had seen.
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yes, would still crank over.