Starter compatibility?

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by soncasey, Sep 14, 2010.

1. soncasey

soncasey Member

I got a starter from a wreckers which has been tested and works and apparently matches mine. The body of the starter is smaller than mine (my car is a TDI but the starter is a gas-sized starter) and on my old starter from my 97. Are there different types of starters?

I have a manual 1998 1.9L Jetta TDI and the part number is 02A-911-024-D.

I haven't taken my starter off my car yet but does the length of the shaft (the one with the gear going into the bell housing (??)) matter? The starter from my last car a 1997 diesel had a longer shaft than the ones I've seen on the How To Guide and ebay etc with matching part numbers.

-Also, how easily should the starter gear spin by hand? It's pretty sticky, should I spray it with fluid film or oil?

Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    IIRC the starter gear shouldn't move easily but I could be wrong.

The auto TDI and manual TDI starters are different and TDI vs. non TDI starters are different.
  3. soncasey

soncasey Member

Yeah thanks, it looks like they're too dissimilar. I called a local starter repair shop and he said they probably weren't compatible. The one on there has a covered sort of collar around the gear and the one I got as a replacement has more cylinder kind of parts around the gear, and it's longer. Ah well, I will have to order one from ebay and get bump starting.