1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Stalling with 6MT...

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Shortshaft, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Shortshaft

Shortshaft New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    Ok...am I the only idiot that has a problem with stalling when starting off? I have never had such a sensitive progression in my life. A few things come to mind.
    -1] It's just ME....doubt it.
    -2] Very little flywheel effect.
    -3] Computer / fuel mapping. If the map was set-up correctly, once the motor had some load applied, it would fuel it slightly to assist the clutch engagement. The Cummins in my Dodge would sense this and you could climb a hill with your foot off the pedal. As soon as you crest the hill, you could feel it throttle back and decelerate. I know we are talking different animals, but this set-up is almost DANGEROUS.
    I have about 7500 miles on it now, and I hope it gets better once it's broken in further. This ONE issue if it doesn't get better could cause me to get rid of it......my VW connection says he has the same issue stalling as I do, and he is the Shop Foreman! He also drives a stick everyday.
    Now I'm sure if I "abuse" the clutch and use a little more throttle I won't have the problem, but I question how the lifespan of the clutch would be. I tend to let the clutch start to grab, then apply throttle. Love the car otherwise. :panic:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    IMHO, it's the DMF and engine tuning: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/clutch-kit-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

SMF retrofits feel very different. Some DMF also have better clutch engagement than others. DMF in mk4 weren't as easy to stall, I've noticed DMF in mk5 and newer are easier to stall. But you'll get used to it, so it's you :D
  4. wimpog

wimpog Member

Car:
    2012 JSW Manual
    Mods:
    Protection Kit
    I'd try to adjust to the clutch on a flat surface by releasing it to a point of engagement a few times w/out using any gas. The vehicle will start moving, and similar to your Cummins, it has electronic gas pedal, so it will move with your foot off the gas pedal. It will maintain the RPMs not allowing them to drop to a point of stalling, unless you interfere.
  5. RaymondT

RaymondT New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    I bought a Ross Tech dongle so I could adjust a few settings on my 2012 Golf TDI Comfortline. After I shut off the hill-hold assist, it really helped cut down the stalling. The other thing to watch for is the A/C being on. It's another load on the engine that makes this problem worse. In another thread, somebody mentioned that the engine shuts down the fuel when the RPM hit 700rpm. That's very little margin for error when your modulating the throttle at take off.
  6. Robert Henley

Robert Henley New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI
    My 2010 Golf TDI 6M is more sensitive than other cars I've driven in terms of starting out (letting the clutch out from a stop). I've got about 8,000 miles on mine now, and after about 5,000 miles it was not as sensitive. It will break in plus you'll get used to the "feel" of it. The first couple of times I drove it I stalled it, and I've always been very adept with a manual. It'll get better with some break in and time with the stick. I'm teaching my kids to drive a manual, and my first one has had alot of trouble with releasing the clutch and getting started smoothly, so it's not the best choice for someone new to a manual.
  7. slothbar

slothbar New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI/ 2012
    From a standing start with the AC on is the only time when stalling my manual TDI is ever an issue. I just give the car a few hundred more RPM at launch and the problem is solved.
  8. Audi5000TDI

Audi5000TDI Member

Car:
    2012 Touareg Sport TDI
    How about the procedure to remove hill hold with VCDS? I need to remove it from my 2012 passat, it's an annoying feature that helps burn up the clutch... I'm plenty capable to just use the hand brake to hold me on a hill.
  9. xeno555

xeno555 Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Slammed
    For me, I think the reason for stalling out is because there is very little variance between engaged/disengaged. I'am to use to manual cable clutch from driving those over 25 years. It is all related to driving styles.
  10. curiousgb

curiousgb New Member

Car:
    Funny I test drove a JSW with manual yesterday. It drove wonderfully but I did stall it once in first gear. I attributed it to me not knowing the car.
  11. meb58

meb58 New Member

Car:
    VWTDi/2012
    I gave the service folks an earful about how easy this car is to stall. I've driven all sorts of cars on and off track, I've logged about 3.7 million miles of driving thus far in this life and I've never had a car that stalls this easy. 31 times since I began keeping track in 8,400 miles. It's much worse with the AC on so I switch it off every time I pull away from a stop light. I consider this dangerous...an engine with so much torque so low in the power band ought no to have this problem.

I also loaned it to a track veteran in my area and although he didn't stall it during a 50 mile drive he did say the the engagement utterly lacked feel and that he could understand how easy it might be to stall this car.

...an extremely annoying attribute in an otherwise very nice car.
  12. nlz242

nlz242 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI Highline
    31 times? wow!

I have had mine for a week now, i was driving a DSG for the past 2 years, so i kinda lost the feel for the clutch and i stalled 3 times so far. While i do agree it's easy to stall it, i wouldnt go as far as, turning AC off at start, instead of just giving it slightly more gas. Hill hold will def. take time to get used to, for me. I like the feature, i wont disable it, but i have had a couple of moments where i was really wondering what was holding the car in place.

Little trick ive read (that you may already know) is to use less brake pressure, as Hill hold applies the same braking force as you did to keep the car from rolling. So if you are on a very slight incline and you give it alot of break, you'll find yourself fighting the brakes for a little less than 2s, which is more than enough to stall it.
  13. meb58

meb58 New Member

Car:
    VWTDi/2012
    ...it's not on the hills...just pulling away from a regular stop light or from a toll booth. No problems with the hills. The AC really bogs this thing down...otherwise I have to slip the clutch much more than I like. I put over 200K on all of my cars and have never had to replace the clutch. I'm not so sure about this car...
  14. nlz242

nlz242 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI Highline
    My point was more that I noticed hill hold has a tendency to kick in even when it feels like I'm on a level surface... So I'm getting some brake hold while none would be needed. But yeah this may not be your case.
  15. Reichardt

Reichardt New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
    I bought a 2012 JSW tdi a couple of weeks ago and I have stalled it two or three times. My wife stalled it at lest ten times in one short test drive. It just takes some getting used to. It would be less of an issue if you didn't have to turn the ignition completely off and back on to restart the car. That is annoying.
  16. meb58

meb58 New Member

Car:
    VWTDi/2012
    Ah...hmmm, I'll have to take note of that...very interesting, because it is a hard and sudden stall...almost as if something is holding the car back.

17. enricoleone

enricoleone New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI 4D 6M
    i think the biggest contributor to stalling is a major difference between the diesel and regular gas cars: when the revs drop terminally low, there is no warning 'bucking' like on a gasoline engine. it just dies. coupled with the sound isolation, the long clutch travel, and the absolute 800 rpm 'cutoff' that = stall.
  18. Shortshaft

Shortshaft New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    I agree, and that's my point as well. The "hard and sudden stall", is what I have a problem with. If the ECM is shutting the fuel off too early, it can be resolved by a re-flash. The more I think about it, the more I am concerned. The hill hold feature does not affect my take-off, as it can be "timed" to engage the clutch the second it releases. I actually like it now that I am used to it. In heavy traffic, stop and go, or just pulling away...if you are too quick with the trigger it'll stall...fast and abrupt. If VW is giving us a mere 100-200 rpm to "work" with, from idle rpm of about 800 to engagement rpm, it becomes a safety issue. You should NOT have to concentrate as much as you do with clutch release as you do with this car. I have sent VW an e-mail with my concerns.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  19. gillie

gillie New Member

Car:
    jetta wagen/2010
    Practically everyone has experienced the stalling problem initially. I never had the problem with other sticks and I thought there was a defect. You will learn, as I did, that playing with the gas pedal as you engage first gear will reduce the stalling. It still happens on rare occasions but I know it's me and not the car.
  20. meb58

meb58 New Member

Car:
    VWTDi/2012
    I think it's the car; the clutch has no feel whatsoever. However, I simply have to keep my eye on the tach whilst pulling away from a stop.