1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Spare tire

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by VdubDiesel, Nov 10, 2011.

1. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    Does the spare tire have TPMS monitor? I have a TDI SEL PREM PASSAT and I am wondring if a stock alloy wheel and tire will fit in the spare area. I am thinking of tossing the spare and buying a full size spare. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    login to remove this ad
  2. tcm glx

tcm glx New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    2012 Passat measure tire pressure via ABS Sensors, not using TPMS, so it does not really matter. You could easily pick up a full size spare and move forward with your plan.
  3. 69mach1377

69mach1377 New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat 2.0 TDI/PD
    How can ABS sensors sense tire pressure?
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It measures the rotations off the wheel sensors and if one is off it knows something is off. Flat tire = smaller diameter.
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  6. 69mach1377

69mach1377 New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat 2.0 TDI/PD
    From the first article;

"The last point is really the major downfall of Indirect TPMS, it requires the driver to recalibrate the system every time the tyres are inflated. If this does not occur the system becomes ineffective and there is no warning to the driver that the TPMS system requires recalibration. Many drivers are unaware of what TPMS is and even if they are they are not aware that they have to recalibrate the system and this can lull them into a false sense of security and less frequent checking of pressures (after all the car will let the driver know when a tyre needs inflating. Right?).

If the TPMS warning does go off many users see the TPMS button as a reset for the warning, the car than calibrates for this lower pressure and won’t warn until pressures drop a further 20%. The driver assumes that everything is ok as the warning hasn’t come back and keeps driving oblivious to a problem with the pressures."
  7. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    So since I drive allot and I purchased my V-Dub I decided to change out the temporary spare to a full size wheel and tire. I went ahead with a Moda MD14 wheel with a Kumho Ecsta ASX tire 235/45R18.

When the tire and wheel arrived I was like this is not going to fit... But it fit like a charm, just need to modify the jack/tool kit holder. See pics... Hope this helps... Not sure why I chose this wheel and tire package but it will do the job.

Attached Files:

8. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Great post... thanks!