1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

slight shudder when accelerating BRM/DSG

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by jettajeff2006, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jettajeff2006

jettajeff2006 New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta TDI
    My Jetta has a slight shudder when accelerating from about 35 mph to 50 mph. Fuel filter is new and it still doing it. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm at 91K...
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This is just a total guess, could be bad DSG flywheel. Any rough shifting or idle and it could be it. Could also be a boost leak.
  3. jettajeff2006

jettajeff2006 New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta TDI
    Thats very interesting. My DMF is indeed bad and will be changed w/i the month after a cam inspection and a timing belt change. However, I never connected the trashed DMF with the shudder at speed. If you are correct I will be ecstatic!
    In my minds eye while driving I have been envisioning a problem with the clutches or bands in the DSG. Or, binding turbo vanes. I must admit though my "minds eye" is very pessimistic every time I here or feel something different. I will take a wait and see approach on the shudder until the DMF is swapped. Thanks!

PS: are the 3x13mm bolts on the cam sprocket TTY bolts? I didn't see this mentioned in part 1 or 2 of the posts for T-belt replacement.

Jeff
  4. jettajeff2006

jettajeff2006 New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta TDI
    Hey chitty I forgot to ask...If I'm understanding the english language still, I'm pretty sure I read that on some BRMs the lower crank sprocket is "OVAL". What gives with that???
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    3x 13 cam sprocket bolts are not tty but obviously if you don't have a torque wrench get one! I've read a post where someone snapped the bolt head off from overtorquing.

Oval crank sprocket = matches pulses on belt from actuating injectors for less wear on belt. They should all be on BRM but manual says some early ones might not.

Earlier ones had larger gaps between the sprocket teeth on two side for same effect. I guess the oval sprocket must work better.
  6. jettajeff2006

jettajeff2006 New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta TDI
    Just inspected cam and its worn for sure. 1&4 are the worst. I've been running 505.01 since new. Like I read earlier in another post...I'll be changing my cam and flywheel before I change my first set of brake pads.

This motor is a joke. I used to love this car because of the mileage and longevity I "knew" I was going to get. And this isn't even to mention the radio buttons, headliner fiasco...

It does get great mileage but I'm about to spend most of that savings on a cam kit!!!!

Please tell me there's a class action lawsuit pending....I'm keeping all receipts.