1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Slave cylinder function

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jimjay, May 1, 2012.

1. jimjay

jimjay New Member

Car:
    VW NB TDI AGR 98 5spd
    Hello, My transmission shifts satisfactorily but not as good as it should. It very well could be the fact that the clutch and syncros have 130k and the trany is just preforming poorly due to wear, but I like puzzles. I have bled the oil, replaced the shift carrier, the selector fork(big improvement), and changed the gear box oil. I have read enough that the slave cylinder could be a contributing factor, but the slave has no oil seepage or leaks. Can the slave cylinder be worn to preform poorly without leaking.

Question two, with the car running and stationary when I depress the clutch pedal slightly I feel a slight vibration, is that the throw out bearing showing it age ?

thanks
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    vibration is normal if pressed down about 1"

slave cylinder shouldn't affect shifting unless it's not going out.

Could be due to worn fork not letting clutch out or some other wear but if clutch fluid has no bubbles, slave cyl rod is extending all the way, clutch is released.